AMD *Delays* Athlon-64 Until SEPTEMBER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD *Delays* Athlon-64 Until SEPTEMBER

...but Athlon XP3000+ (BARTON core) is scheduled for February 10th...

Regarding 64-Bit chips:

The new September date will "allow us to better align the processor with the availability with 64-bit OSes and software applications," an AMD spokesperson said.

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Perhaps AMD has decided to forgo the planned "paper launch" in July and actually launch the chip in September.
    Last edited by Hulk; 31 January 2003, 10:36.
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Or maybe they wisely chose not to release a chip with little use?

Win XP 64bit & applications is a long way off. Not to mention the Barton is plenty fast to keep up with the P4 for the next couple of months. Opterons (server chips) in April - since these use available Linux 64.

Still, dual Opterons in April... yummie

Jkun

Comment

Yeah it's too bad that M$FT doesn't have 64bit offering as of yet. I see it pointless to buy a 3000+ 3200+ or whatever with 64bit a few more months down the trail. To spend the bucks for a current cpu that will be very short lived doesn't make any sense.

Hell if you could find a server board and go with quad opterons... mmm I see smoke in the distance!

My prediction of 2005 is going to be a very close shave...

According to Amd they are ready... so this comes down to Mr Bill. He must not have taken Amd seriously.

Comment

Hammer will natively run 64 bit AND 32 bit software. And, from the preliminary tests we have all read, it will be faster than Barton clock for clock with current software.
          - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Maybe it's just a matter of they don't want to compete with themselves. Keep the Opterons priced high and out perform the Xenons.
            Or maybe the barton core ramps higher then they thought?
            Oh my god MAGNUM!

Comment

Well it's true it can run 32bit code, but it needs a 64bit OS. It would be counter productive to install a 32bit OS on it even if it would work.

And then maybe M$FT is having trouble with the 32bit emulation or whatever you want to call it... with the new XP64. Who know's...that's the bad thing when you have so many vendors to make one product.

At least the chipset people have their act together. It's only a matter of time now. If anyone has half a brain they wouldn't get the 3000+ or 3200+ when few months down the road comes 64bit. Even though it will take time to port over to 64bit, why spend all that money for an INSTANT obsolete product.

I know althalons are going to take the place of durons, but that is still no reason to pay a premium a few months B4 Athalon64

I am dying to see some real world benchmarks... how 'bout you gize?

So hurry up $Bill$

Comment

Unless Hammer is priced reasonably, I'm about 100% sure my next CPU will be Barton...
                Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I think AMD felt threatend by Intels 3.06 Ghz CPU that they had to act quickly to produce a chip with equivilant performance and label it 3000+.

They put a halt on the 64 bit chip for this very reason.

Elie

Comment

"It would be counter productive to install a 32bit OS on it even if it would work."
                    Why would it be couter productive? And yes it will work.
                    Oh my god MAGNUM!

Comment

The 64bit instructions on the hammer chip are just extensions to the 32bit's, so a 32bit OS wouldnt be wasting performance, only if you install 64 bit applications, and i think there arent that many yet for home users.

Comment

Originally posted by K6-III
                        Unless Hammer is priced reasonably, I'm about 100% sure my next CPU will be Barton...

Oh yes, it will be reasonable.... BARTON will be even cheaper after the launch of Hammer because according to the roadmap Athalons take the place of Durons... Durons will then be dropped.

Celery will then have even more competition, and if you bought B4 the Hammer intro... you have overpaid! Bcause the prices will go to Celery levels...$Ouch$
                        Last edited by Ray Austin; 1 February 2003, 13:34.

Comment

Interesting comment from Martin Atkinson-Barr on the rec.video.desktop newsgroup:

>Don't think that 64-bit chips are
                          >only for very large *physical* memory.

>For video applications the virtual
                          >memory size is as important, if not
                          >more so, as the physical memory.

> The max virtual under Windows is
                          > 2GB, though some versions can
                          > push this to 3 GB. That's what limits
                          > your file sizes, or in the case of NTFS
                          > causes paging of the virtual space.

> It's what makes handling large files
                          > so slow as the virtual memory
                          > manager has to find and allocate -
                          > or reallocate - large blocks of virtual
                          > memory space for the video files.

> Even if you have only a modest
                          > amount of physical memory it is still
                          > important to have lots of virtual
                          > memory to allocate for all those large
                          > files.

> Virtual space is a measure of
                          > all the files you have open, physical
                          > is allocated for the current working
                          > area and is dynamically mapped to
                          > virtual space as required. Blocks of
                          > physical are released normally on a
                          > least-recently-used basis. The linux
                          > docs on the kernel at www.linux.org
                          > have details on how this is done.

Jerry Jones
                          I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

The bottom line is that the performance benefits of 64 bit processors and 64 bit operating systems and software have to be evaluated in action. That is, actually running the program.

We will see how much faster a Hammer processor clocked about the same as Barton will be when running MS Pro. Of course we'll have to have a 64 bit OS and 64 bit version of MS Pro to make a apples to apples comparison.

Mark
                            - Mark

Comment

Working...
                            X