RN buys 2 new 50000 tonne Carriers but what a shoddy state of affairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RN buys 2 new 50000 tonne Carriers but what a shoddy state of affairs

It looks like the RN is getting back into the carrier business. 2 50000 tonne ships have been ordered for delivery commencing 2012. Oddly enough, of the 2 finalists, BAE and Thales, BAE have won but they will be building the loosers design! WTF! Whats even more ridiculous is that they will be building it in 3 sections instead of 5 as designed by Thales. Now this would be funny but BAE has managed to f**k up their last 2 major projects, The Astute class HK and the Nimrod ASW upgrade. This level of corruption beggars belief, I can see this project having more holes than a colender. Why the f**k cant we buy from the best after all they arent cheap. These buggers are costing the British taxpayers £1.5billion ($2.5 billion) each.

Sorry but I am miffed by what I see as corruption/incompetance/Cronieism etc

MD
    Interests include:
    Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

I'm shocked!
    Socked I say!
    To find that there is "corruption/incompetance/Cronieism" in military hardware acquisition!
    Anywhere in the world!
    chuck
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Re: RN buys 2 new 50000 tonne Carriers but what a shoddy state of affairs

Originally posted by mdhome
      It looks like the RN is getting back into the carrier business. 2 50000 tonne ships have been ordered for delivery commencing 2012. Oddly enough, of the 2 finalists, BAE and Thales, BAE have won but they will be building the loosers design! WTF! Whats even more ridiculous is that they will be building it in 3 sections instead of 5 as designed by Thales. Now this would be funny but BAE has managed to f**k up their last 2 major projects, The Astute class HK and the Nimrod ASW upgrade. This level of corruption beggars belief, I can see this project having more holes than a colender. Why the f**k cant we buy from the best after all they arent cheap. These buggers are costing the British taxpayers £1.5billion ($2.5 billion) each.

Sorry but I am miffed by what I see as corruption/incompetance/Cronieism etc

MD
      Thales even promised to build half of the amount of carriers on British soil as a guarantee for work there.

I guess that BAE had indeed some extra 'influence' as they would be in big financial troubles without this order.

Comment

Sounds like another R101 disaster in the making.. design by comittee.. will the British government never learn?

Comment

Unfortunately, in my eyes British politicians have always been bad at these sort of things. Its a shame the Nimitz class are too big, we could have bought 2 and had 100% industrial offsets from the US.

REgards MD
          Interests include:
          Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

However a lot of the Bae stufff should happen in the Barrow area; with wealth spilling northwards into what is a poor, but (and less of a sure seat than previously) labour area. Me, cynical? Never.
            MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

Belfast (Harland & Wolfe) has worked with both suppliers - and is putting in a bid. It has military certification up to, but excluding Subs & Nukes...

Apart form some refurb work - the order books are empty.....

What are the chances ? Dont think so!

RedRed
              Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Working...
              X