2K and hyper threading.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K and hyper threading.

I know XP supports Intel's hyper threading and supposedly 2K does not, but can it work anyway?

No?!

I thought that hyperthreading is "transparent" to OS, wchich means that any OS that can make use of dual cpu's can take advantage of HT.
    Was I wrong?

Comment

I meant not officially supported on 2K but does it work anyway?

Comment

No. Win2k will show the 2nd processor, but it cannot distinguish between a physical and a logical processor. You must use WinXP or greater...

Comment

WinXP or greater...LOL, wonder how Linux protaginsts will view that statement...
          Umf
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

"The box said: 'Install Windows 98 or better'. So I installed Linux..."

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by isochar
              No. Win2k will show the 2nd processor, but it cannot distinguish between a physical and a logical processor. You must use WinXP or greater...

So on a dual CPU win2k server it shows 4 CPUs, but what does it really do with the 'CPUs'

Comment

From what i understand, Nowhere is right...it just sees them as 2 CPUs, and does it's thing.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveC
                  So on a dual CPU win2k server it shows 4 CPUs, but what does it really do with the 'CPUs'
                  It treats them like they have their own cache, and like they don't need special treatment when they stall.

HT is not really two CPUs, and it can act slower than a pure UP if not handled correctly.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                  X