What OS! do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What OS! do you use?

I was just wondering what operating system you used? I know this has probably been asked a dosen times before but I want to know I'm currently using Win XP which in my opinion is a great peice of software that is very stable. I have considered Win 2000 as XP is such a memory HOG! but I dont know.

So is it XP, 2000, Linux maybe,
    What do you use and why?

Win2k. Stable, fast, and was at SP1 when I built this machine. First rule of MS OS's: never install one unless at least at SP1 (actually that should really be SP2, but hey I like to live on the edge )

Gnep
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

So would you recommend Win 2000 over XP?? I was thinking of doing a format and I might install that instead of XP. What do you think?

Comment

I use winXP, and it works great. My dad has the same system i do, but with win2k installed, and its less stable

Comment

Windows 2000 SP2 or 3 is the BEST os from MS
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

2k SP3 and love it

Comment

I use Linux
              Distribution is Gentoo, although I have thought about starting my own distro, since there are some annoying flaws/features in Gentoo. But it is the best distro this far
              -Slougi

Comment

Winme
                win2k
                winxp
                Mandrake 9 when it works.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Win2K SP3 all round. (except at work where i have to use NT4)
                  PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                  Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                  +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Do you think it would be worth replacing Win XP with Win 2000 and SP3?

thx

Comment

I user XP at home and Windows 2000SP3 at work. The Win2K system is just about bulletproof on a P3-733 system at work. XP runs great on the machines at home. No complants.
                      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Winblows XP SP1. Fast and stable, once properly tweaked. I use it over Win2k because of the 'fixed' audio/video subsystems (i.e. better gaming performance).

Jammrock
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I run: FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE, FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE, and 2kSP3.

Comment

W2K Pro and Advance Server (sp3 beta)!
                            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

3dfx: to answer your question - it's probably not worth the hassle, particularly if you already have the license etc for XP. Benefits - less bloat (slightly). Drawbacks - as Jammrock suggests audio subsystem.

But really they are very similar OS's, once you look past the UI. XP is really "Win2k SE"...
                              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Working...
                              X