RT.X10 ordered, now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RT.X10 ordered, now...

Well, I've ordered a new RT.X10 for my system. I'm pretty excited.

I must admit, that here among you, many of whom impress me as being quite acomplished with editing, that I feel abit sheepish about my purchase.

The RT.X10 is likely a bit more hardware than I need at the moment for editing my home movies. But, when I shoped for equipment, I was continually impressed with the feature set of the card, and at $499 was well priced, IMHO. I looked at the DV bridges for the purposes of capturing my analog footage, but I figure if I'm going to invest a couple hudred into that, I might be better served with a more fature rich card, in the long run.

So... wish me luck (and don't be afraid to offer reassuring comments to make me feel better ).

Anyways... my first question is: when I get the system set up, I intend to take my Analog tapes and do a single long capture off the tape, rather than isolate all the clips and capture them manually. Then, I'll take the file and use Premiere to "clip" the indivdule scenes into smaller files for use in editing and archiving. Is there a simple way to do this in Premiere? Or would I be better off with the laborious task of capturing indvidule scenes off the tape?

Thanks in advance,
    Charles
    System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Oh, and 1 more question: Does anyone here have any comments on the motherboard in my sig? I believe the 845PE chipset is approved by Matrox, but any comments on the board?

THNX
    System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

im far from being an expert, but if you want to cut files, i would use virtual dub, and only use premiere to edit the individual files later.

Comment

Congrats Charles, you're gonna enjoy the RT.X10 big time

To answer your questions...

1-Yes you can capture to a single avi file, AS LONG AS you format the capture drive NTFS not FAT32.

2-As long as the chipset is approved you should be fine. I don't have any experience with the Giga-byte, but from what I heard they are solid boards.

Let us know when you set your system up and start editing

Comment

Originally posted by Topha
          im far from being an expert, but if you want to cut files, i would use virtual dub, and only use premiere to edit the individual files later.
          Good Suggestion. Thnx

Comment

Originally posted by Elie
            Congrats Charles, you're gonna enjoy the RT.X10 big time
            Thanks for the vote of confidence, and for not using a winkie face.

Comment

I purchased one of these a while back and am extremely happy with the results.
              The real time transitions/effects were a big change from having to render everything.

Yes I have captured long (2 hr) analog video and they can be split and re-edited afterwards fairly easily- I found this easier than sitting through the whole video and deciding where to put all the splits before I captured.

Good luck, I'm sure you will enjoy your purchase.
              Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Charles,

Do you have a DV camcorder with "DV pass through" to use for capturing? Nice way to get your video into DV format as you go.

My RT.x10 did a very nice job for me. A bit of advice....I would recommend reading the RT.x10 forum and the RT.x100 forum for advice and problem solving, as they are almost identical products and the RT.x100 forum has more participation.

have fun,

Ted
                Premiere PRO XP Pro
                Asus P4s533
                P4-2.8
                Matrox G450
                RT.x100
                45 GIG System Drive
                120 Export Drive
                Promise Fastrak 100(4x80 Maxtor)
                Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Toshiba Laptop
                17" P4-3 HT
                1024 RAM
                32 MEG GForce
                60 GIG 7200RPM HD
                80 GIG EXT HD (USB 2/Firewire)
                DVD RW/RAM

Comment

Originally posted by Ted222
                  Charles,

Do you have a DV camcorder with "DV pass through" to use for capturing? Nice way to get your video into DV format as you go.
                  I don't. Thought that was recommended to me by a friend also. Question: Does the camcorder's analog to DV transcoding necessarily do a better job than the RT.X10?

Originally posted by Ted222
                  My RT.x10 did a very nice job for me. A bit of advice....I would recommend reading the RT.x10 forum and the RT.x100 forum for advice and problem solving, as they are almost identical products and the RT.x100 forum has more participation.

have fun,

Ted
                  Great advice. Thanks.
                  CEM

Comment

I have done it both ways and the quality is about the same.

Ted
                    Premiere PRO XP Pro
                    Asus P4s533
                    P4-2.8
                    Matrox G450
                    RT.x100
                    45 GIG System Drive
                    120 Export Drive
                    Promise Fastrak 100(4x80 Maxtor)
                    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Toshiba Laptop
                    17" P4-3 HT