Upgrade question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade question.

Since I became a dad 7 months ago, the time available to play games on my computer has decreased dramatically.

Having bought and only played Battlefield 1942 since its release last fall, my computer has been a bit on the slow side when I enable the great visual effects of this game and want to run it in 1280*1024 or greater resolutions.

I have been able to save a little money and have been considering how to invest it best.

My current config is:
    Asus GeForce 3 Ti200 Pure
    Asus A7V333 mobo bios ver. 1007
    AthlonXP1700+ on TT Silent Storm (T-bred compatible cobber cooler)
    512Mb Crucial PC2100+ DDR-RAM

I have considered two different sollutions that fit my budget:

1. AthlonXP 2400+ and ATI Radeon 9500 PRO.

2. ATI Radeon 9700 PRO.

So the questions are:

Which would be the best sollution for me?
    Will I be CPU limited if I just buy a Radeon 9700 PRO?
    Is my current processor sufficient to drive the 3D games we can expect in the next 6 months in the highest detail in combination with the 9700 PRO?

Would a 9500 Pro become a bottleneck in six months if I upgrade my motherboard, CPU and RAM to be "Barton" standard?

Any other suggestions?

Regards,

Jake
    Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
    ----------------------
    Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

I would go for the 9700 (not pro) and decide whether or not you want a faster cpu a few weeks later, when they are even cheaper.

I think its quite easy to overclock the 9700 to pro level

Comment

Working...
    X