Are DivX & Co necessary in 5 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are DivX & Co necessary in 5 years?

Just wondering: Those codecs produce smaller video files with better image quality, but they are not good for editing purposes. Now with BlueDisc coming up, and HD's getting bigger all the time, it seems as if in a few years time it won't be a problem to put long video files in uncompressed (or compressed with a lossless codec (Huffyuv, MJPEG)) on one BlueDisc, not to mention what comes after that.

By then the HighCompression codecs will only be interesting for handheld devices, and in a few more years those should have enough storage as well? Just a thought.

Its always useful, but by then we will have even better compression technologies....think about 100G hardrives and every one still loves to zip their files up

Comment

Yes, it is true that the size of storage devices is going up, but so it computing power, and more computing power means the abiltity to decode better compression technologies. I think we're going to have MORE storage, and higher compression with better quality. One of the few win-win scenarios.

Even my P4 2.4 with 333MHz memory skips every now and then with a full D1 DivX encoding at higher bit rates.

I think we'll stay with non-interframe compressed files for editing for a while though.

Mark
      - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

but compression is usefull for bandwith savings

p.s. and I don't think that MJPEG is lossless...

Comment

there ARE MJPEG codecs that are lossless not all, the matrox hardware mjpeg(zoran I think) and PICvideo has one as well.

Comment

ok, I don't get it...

MJPEG means (afaik) motion jpeg; each frame is compressed by jpeg algorythm; and jpeg IS always lossy

Comment

Working...
            X