Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft failed use its own patches :-P

Somehow it just figures.....

Get the latest local Detroit and Michigan breaking news and analysis , sports and scores, photos, video and more from The Detroit News.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Don't you just love it very funny.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Yuppers
      The plumbers faucet always drips and the painters oun house is never painted.
      It's a classic.
      chuck
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

The disclosure comes less than a week after Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates marked progress on the company's "Trustworthy Computing" initiative. That effort, announced a year ago, made security a top priority at the Redmond, Wash.-based company. Microsoft put thousands of its developers through security training to emphasize writing secure code, and hired a chief security officer.
        What do you think would happen if most doorknobs in the world were made by one company, and that all the knobs could be opened even when locked just by twisting the knob back and forth a few times? I wish I could walk up to someone who was driving a car I liked, and just say "What time is it? What time is it? What time is it? What time is it? What time is it? You want to give me your car." and have them hand the keys over without a second thought... Can't really single out Microsoft unfortuantly, it's so common people seem to think it's "normal."

Comment

Jon, is that what the security hole was? If you queried the DB for the time continuously or something?

Comment

Been fixing SQL SLammer all morning. IT's good to know the dolts at M$ haven't fixed themselves yet. I bet they wrote the virus to force people to upgrade to SQL SP3.

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Nah, it's just the general idea behind buffer overflow exploits: Give more info than the software expects, and stick something nasty in the overflow. If the software is really poorly writen it can be tricked into running the code that overflowed.

Here's a link that describes the Slammer exploit.
              Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 28 January 2003, 10:42.

Comment

Working...
              X