Is there any Kansas in you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any Kansas in you?

Being from Kansas, this was hilarious. I'm sure a lot of it applies to other states, too.

YOU MIGHT BE FROM KANSAS IF.......

1. You no longer associate bridges or rivers with water.

2. You have never met any celebrities. (Bob Dole isn't a celebrity; he's your neighbor.)

3. You know the meaning of Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

4. Your closest neighbor is more than a mile away and you can still see him from your front porch.

5. You can properly pronounce Salina, Basehor, Schoenchen, Kechi and Osawatomie.

6. Going on vacation means going to Hutch to the fair, Abilene to Ike's museum or Boot Hill to see Miss Kitty.

7. You know exactly what calf fries are and eat them anyway.

8. A traffic jam involves two cars staring each other down at a four-way stop, each determined to be the most polite and let the other go first.

9. A Mercedes Benz is not a status symbol. A Ford F350 4x4 is. (Except in Johnson County)

10. You discover that in July it takes only 2 fingers to drive your car.

11. The terms Sooners and Huskers cause hairs on the back of your neck to stand up straight and your blood pressure to rise.

12. You have owned at least one belt buckle bigger than your fist.

13. You think people who complain about the wind in their states are SISSIES!

14. You are not surprised to find movie rentals, ammunition and bait all in the same store.

15. You know that the true value of a parking space is not determined by the distance to the door but by the availability of shade.

16. You have been asked, "Where is Toto" more than once.

17. You prefer the Little Apple to the Big Apple as a place to live.

18. You had at least one summer job that was bucking bales or custom cutting.

19. You understand the difference between 3.2 and 6 point and more than once you've made a beer run to another state.

20. You learned how to shoot a gun before you learned to multiply.

21. Your school classes have been canceled because of the cold.

22. You know in your heart that K-State can beat Oklahoma in football. 23. Traffic congestion is ten cars waiting to pass a combine on the highway.

24. You have had to switch from heat to A/C in the same day.

25. You know everything goes better with Ranch.

26. You call that smell coming from the feed yards...."money".

27. Your school classes have been canceled because of the heat.

28. You complain that you cannot see Scott City...

29. You know that Mt. Oread is really only just a hill.

30. You have seen people wear bib overalls to funerals and weddings.

31. You have ridden the school bus for more than an hour each way.

32. Over 50% of your wardrobe is purple.

33. In August, you break a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:00 a.m.

34. You instantly know someone is from Johnson County when they call everything west of Topeka... "Western" Kansas.

35. A tornado warning siren is your signal to go out in the yard and look for a funnel.

36. You know the real way to pronounce the name of Clinton's state and the river... arKANSAS.

37. You think the opening day of pheasant season is a national holiday.

38. You NEVER liked Norm Stewart.

39. "Vacation" means going to Kansas City or Wichita for the weekend.

40. You measure distance in hours.

41. You know several people who have hit more than one deer.

42. You use a down comforter in the summer (because you run the A/C at 55 degrees).

43. Your grandparents drive at 65 through 13 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching.

44. You see people wearing hunting clothes at social events.

45. You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.

46. You think of the major food groups as beer, beef and beans.

47. You carry jumper cables in your car and make sure your better half knows how to use them.

48. You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.

49. Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow.

50. You think sexy lingerie is tube socks and flannel pajamas.

51. You know the 4 seasons as: summer, road construction, still summer, winter.

52. It takes you 3 hours to go to the store for one item even when you're in a rush because you have to stop and talk to everyone in town.

53. You actually understand these jokes and forward them to all your friends from Kansas.

54. You lock the doors to your truck but leave the windows rolled down.

55. FINALLY..... you are 100% Kansan if........... you have EVER had this
    conversation: ~You wanna Coke? ~Yeah. ~What kind? ~Dr. Pepper.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

erm, i read the first dozen and didn't understand any of them...
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

aHAHAHAHAHA

My co-workers are starting to look at me funny as I have been laughing for 10 minutes straight. OMG, tears ...
      Buckaroo, the President's on line 1, calling about is everything okay with the alien space bomb and Planet Ten, or should we just go ahead and destroy Russia?

Tell him yes on one and no on two.

Which was yes? The destroy Russia, or the, uh, number two?

Comment

1. You no longer associate bridges or rivers with water.

Nope, I live near a river, and there are bridges over it.

2. You have never met any celebrities. (Bob Dole isn't a celebrity; he's your neighbor.)

He's not exactly my neighbor, but yeah... never seen any celebrities.

3. You know the meaning of Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

Sorry, never heard the "Rock Chalk" part, but I do know what a Jayhawk is.

4. Your closest neighbor is more than a mile away and you can still see him from your front porch.

That's just western Kansas.

5. You can properly pronounce Salina, Basehor, Schoenchen, Kechi and Osawatomie.

Saline, Kechi, and Osawatomie yes, Basehor and Schoenchen no.

6. Going on vacation means going to Hutch to the fair, Abilene to Ike's museum or Boot Hill to see Miss Kitty.

Never been to the Museum in Abiline (but would like to), neither to Boot Hill, and you'd have to hit me with a tranqualizer dart and drag me to the state fair in Hutch.

7. You know exactly what calf fries are and eat them anyway.

Never ate 'em, and am afraid to know what the are from the sounds if it.

8. A traffic jam involves two cars staring each other down at a four-way stop, each determined to be the most polite and let the other go first.

Or construction on Kellogg where they're widening it to 6 lanes causing mile long backups.

9. A Mercedes Benz is not a status symbol. A Ford F350 4x4 is. (Except in Johnson County)

Rather have a BMW.

10. You discover that in July it takes only 2 fingers to drive your car.

And in January you discover you can drive with your hands in bunched up in fists inside your gloves trying to avoid frostbite.

11. The terms Sooners and Huskers cause hairs on the back of your neck to stand up straight and your blood pressure to rise.

12. You have owned at least one belt buckle bigger than your fist.

Sorry, never shopped at Shepplers.

13. You think people who complain about the wind in their states are SISSIES!

14. You are not surprised to find movie rentals, ammunition and bait all in the same store.

I'm gonna be afraid when Quik Trip starts selling Ammo and bait.

15. You know that the true value of a parking space is not determined by the distance to the door but by the availability of shade.

Yeppers

16. You have been asked, "Where is Toto" more than once.

Not that I recall.

17. You prefer the Little Apple to the Big Apple as a place to live.

Only seen the Big Apple from out the window of a truck, not sure if I'd wanna live there or not.

18. You had at least one summer job that was bucking bales or custom cutting.

Nope.

19. You understand the difference between 3.2 and 6 point and more than once you've made a beer run to another state.

No clue, that like the proof of the alcohol or something?

20. You learned how to shoot a gun before you learned to multiply.

Know how to shoot a gun, yes.

21. Your school classes have been canceled because of the cold.

Don't remember if that ever happened when I was in school or not, but wouldn't be surprised.

22. You know in your heart that K-State can beat Oklahoma in football.

And always lose to Nebraska.

23. Traffic congestion is ten cars waiting to pass a combine on the highway.

Repeat question, same as 8 basicly.

24. You have had to switch from heat to A/C in the same day.

Done that, yep.

25. You know everything goes better with Ranch.

Yummy, pizza with Ranch dressing... ewwwww, no way!

26. You call that smell coming from the feed yards...."money".

I call it "Ammonia"

27. Your school classes have been canceled because of the heat.

Again, don't remember if that happened, but wouldn't be surprised.

28. You complain that you cannot see Scott City...

I think I've heard that one before, but don't remember what's supposed to be funny about it.

29. You know that Mt. Oread is really only just a hill.

Can't remember what Mt. Oread is, but it sounds familiar.

30. You have seen people wear bib overalls to funerals and weddings.

Never been to a funeral yet, lucky me.

31. You have ridden the school bus for more than an hour each way.

Only because the bus broke down.

32. Over 50% of your wardrobe is purple.

Not a fan of K-State, sorry.

33. In August, you break a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:00 a.m.

Used to get up at 4:00 am in the morning and drive 180 miles before the sun even came up, I can tell you that even in August it can get kinda chilly.

34. You instantly know someone is from Johnson County when they call everything west of Topeka... "Western" Kansas.

Or the "JO" on their tags too.

35. A tornado warning siren is your signal to go out in the yard and look for a funnel.

Hey, Tornadoes are cool! (As long as they don't hit anyone's house...)

36. You know the real way to pronounce the name of Clinton's state and the river... arKANSAS.

The river is Arkansas, their state is Arkansaw. Since this state isn't called Kansaw, THEY must be in the wrong!

37. You think the opening day of pheasant season is a national holiday.

Never gone hunting.

38. You NEVER liked Norm Stewart.

Who?

39. "Vacation" means going to Kansas City or Wichita for the weekend.

What if you already live in Wichita?

40. You measure distance in hours.

I use that wierd internet time Swatch invented. Or not.

41. You know several people who have hit more than one deer.

Actually, I don't, but that's more luck than anything. Nearly hit 'em more times than I can tell though.

42. You use a down comforter in the summer (because you run the A/C at 55 degrees).

With the price of electricity any more, that's changed...

43. Your grandparents drive at 65 through 13 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching.

Just as long as they're in FRONT of me, not behind me when their do it.

44. You see people wearing hunting clothes at social events.

Seen it happen...

45. You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.

Yep, there's no crime in Wichita, we're all very friendly here.

46. You think of the major food groups as beer, beef and beans.

And spaghetti.

47. You carry jumper cables in your car and make sure your better half knows how to use them.

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get some jumper cables, but I've got a new battery and alternator in my car for now.

48. You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.

I hate Halloween, and I don't have any kids.

49. Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow.

Until the snow becomes hard packed and forms potholes beyond your wildest nightmares...

50. You think sexy lingerie is tube socks and flannel pajamas.

I suppose it depends on who's inside them.

51. You know the 4 seasons as: summer, road construction, still summer, winter.

Seems like it.

52. It takes you 3 hours to go to the store for one item even when you're in a rush because you have to stop and talk to everyone in town.

I try to avoid talking to people around here.

53. You actually understand these jokes and forward them to all your friends from Kansas.

Death to people who foward joke lists!

54. You lock the doors to your truck but leave the windows rolled down.

Don't have a truck, and... umm... the windows on my car don't roll down. And the A/C doesn't work. Summer is NOT fun.

55. FINALLY..... you are 100% Kansan if........... you have EVER had this
        conversation: ~You wanna Coke? ~Yeah. ~What kind? ~Dr. Pepper.

Well, can't say that I remember saying that, but I've got a wierd feeling I've probably done it.

[edit]Too many images? Doh, didn't know smilies counted, oh well...[/edit
        Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 28 January 2003, 09:25.

Comment

You must be a Kansas immigrant, Jon P. Norm Stewart? Former head coach of MU's basketball team....

Being a native of KS I got quite a few of those. I have had school canceled due to heat (lots of KS schools didn't have AC and temps got 100+ w/ 90%+ humidity...) and cold (happened just last week).

And my license plate does have the "JO" sticker on it

Jammrock

Comment

Nope, lived here all my 26 years. I just never found basketball all that interesting.

I don't remember school ever being canceled for heat here in Wichita when I was a kid, it seemed they thought sweat helped the eductational process.

Comment

I understand now...you don't have blood-sucking liberal imports from CA to form mommy associations to stop school if their poor little baby should sweat or get cold outside waiting for the bus.

Jammrock

Comment

Here's me thinking that the first post would have said 'Do you want some?'
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

ROTFLMAO

Those are extremely funny...and distrubingly true (Yay for school last week though)

You Know if you're from JoCo if...instead of having spit wad fights, you throw loose chage at one another...

~Sethos
                  "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

Hey y'all

you know how in most parts of the world folks talk about Revolution but in kansas and Arkansas we talk about Evolution.

Gosh it sure would be nice to have thumbs some day.
                    My Packurd bell 166Megahurtz runnin at 233 on a ABIT ITH5 muther board,
                    128MB EDO ECC RAM and a hole bunch of other cool stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X