FOUND.000 - what's the deal w/ that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOUND.000 - what's the deal w/ that?

After a hard lock last night (from entering a blank CD...see my other thread), I rebooted, and went into the FOUND.000 DIR to see how much data was lost in the process. 96MB or so. Ouch.

My question is this: All those files I find in the FOUND.XYZ directory...what can i do with them?

First question is what OS are you running and are they OS files?

If they are data files just open them and see if they're intact. If not...oh well.

Some OS's like Win2K or XP can self-repair to a small degree, so test the system thoroughly.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

They're the dumped data from dead chains and suchnot.

As Doc said, XP or 2K can mostly self-repair.

You can open them up in a good editor, see what they are, rename 'em, and hope for the best.

See if you've actually lost anything though - often they're just dead chains that were in the disk cache when the machine locked.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Just check that all your data is useable. As Gurm said there normally junk.
        I have used them to recover data but very rarely.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
          First question is what OS are you running and are they OS files?

If they are data files just open them and see if they're intact. If not...oh well.

Some OS's like Win2K or XP can self-repair to a small degree, so test the system thoroughly.

Dr. Mordrid
          WinXP SP1...I honestly forget what file types they were...but they had an icon with two meshing gears, if that helps.

How could I get XP to "repair" something out of these files?

I vaguely remember reading something about these being less of an issue if you ran NTFS...something about the way it caches and writes to disk or something...or am I thinking of something else?

Comment

Any repairs Win2K/XP makes to itself will be in the background. If you can't get anything useful examining those files then I'd just delete them and move on. If everything runs and the OS works they were as Gurm said: likely junk.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
            X