X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duron 1.3G + KT7A Raid probs...

Still having problems...

1. Accidentaly fried my Duron 1ghz
    2. replaced it with a athlon 700, no probs.
    3. bought a duron 1.3G to replace my friends Athlon 700
    4. No POST, but chips works fine...?

Everytime i place the 1.3G it won't POST or boot...well, it did once only.

The chip is currently in a sis7300 board and running fine.

I thought it could be heat problems? the thermistor on the mobo is cracked, so its not easy, but the 700 does not get hot at all. i also tried a duron 800, no probs.
    With the Duron 1G tho, as soon as i put a video on, 15secs later (at the most) it would freeze or reboot.

(I fried the 1G on an overclocking spree, after way too much alcohol, and only have myself to blame)

The only other thing i can think of is that the multiplier on the KT7A stops at "12 and above" and that this might not allow it to boot properly with the 1.3G after a CMOS reset.
    I may have gotten it to boot by putting the athlon 700 in, and then replacing the cpu without clearing the cmos...it would default to the cpu value of 12 and above....

Can anyone enlighten me here...?

Would the heat generated by an Athlon 700 be roughly equal to a Duron 800, 1G or 1.3G?

All aircooled, ambient 18-22C, Al coolers so far, Cu one arriving this week.

Win2k+all drivers, no software apart from winamp and MPlayer 6.4 +codecs. See KT7A specs below for full system.
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

What are the Motherboard & BIOS versions?

Comment

I have KT7A v1.0 (the 1.3 version has different bios)
      kt77n.exe Bios Issue Date: 2002/01/31

This is the one before last bios.
      The latest bios has an update for something else.

i'm gonna try to change cpu without resetting the bios, and setting the cpu values manually.
      Then reboot a few times....
      it has been stable with a duron 800 for a few hours now....33C if you beleive mbm5 with the cracked thermistor. unless durons have internal measuring?
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

I also have one of those exact same boards.

On Abits Bios page, for kt73r.exe, it says "Add new option "1200 above" for high speed Athlons with 100FSB. KT7 / KT7-RAID / KT7A / KT7A-RAID / KT7E only support 1.4G(100) Athlon with L1 bridges disconnected. Check L1 before you buy a CPU please!".

This could be your problem because it also applies to the Duron processor.

They finally fixed the problem in the 1.3 version of the board.

Comment

Yup, i got screwed when i bought a BE-6 too, they brought out the BE-6 II a few months after i got it. it accepted the 133mhz bus, and mine didn't....
          I have an 800 running happily, and i couldn't get my 1.3G out of the other system last night, someone was using it...

Will be swapping back tnight tho, and will keep u updated.
          Have also bought a GlobalWin CBK58 II to keep the temps nice and low.

Comment

The older revisions (e.g. 1.0 - 1.2) of KT7A don't officially support the Athlon XP and newer Duron processors.

The CPU supporting list of mainboards

An FAQ on the subject

Comment

Working...
            X