Simcity4 - Your experiences ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simcity4 - Your experiences ?

I'm trying to figure out a problem. I bought this game and it's been a lot of trouble. I know there are known problems with this game but I am getting contradicting info on the simcity forums and I trust you guys a lot more

How does the game run for you on the Parhelia? At what point does the city start to lag for you? if at all? What are your system specs?

Thanks,

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

I don't have a Parhelia, but all I can say is that I'm disappointed...

I have a 9700Pro and nothing I do make this game run well. It locks, stutters, and has a lot of other issues I can't blame on anyone or anything other than the developers!

This is a prime example of a rushed product! This is sad as I really looked forward to this game. Don't get me wrong it's still a good game, but until they release a major patch I won't go near the game again.

Comment

I have only checked out the Game for 30 minutes or so (same old stuff, just fancier gfx), but it runs perfectly well at 800x600x32 with my g400. Only tested with 10 or so buildings so.
      no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Is it any different from 3? I'll be getting the game soon, sometime this week.
        System Specs:
        Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
        May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
        Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
        And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
        just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
        For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

it looks alot better
          Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

For Parhelia Users, I think select software acceleration other than using hardware acceleration in video option can get better video performance.
            ASUS A7M266-D, 2 x Athlon MP 2000+, Viking 1G PC2100 ECC Reg, LSI MegaRAID Elite 1600 SCSI RAID, 4 x Seagate Cheetah 15k 18.4G HDs RAID 0, Barracuda 7 ATA 200G HD, Matrox Parhelia 256M, Antec True Power 550W power supply, Swiftech & Zalman watercooling & Cooler Master ATC-410 SX-1 Aluminum Server Case

Comment

There's a major FAA bug, when u scroll upwards black lines appear on the screen....also waiting for a patch.
              All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

If you turn FAA off the game plays ok. With FAA on you'll get strange black lines when scrolling.

One thing though, wich i really hope isn't caused by the Parhelia:
                When you are in the first zoom mode (the first from not zoomed in at all) and you have some windows open (like advisors or tax windows) the screen starts to 'roll' Can't explain it really, but it is like you can see the screen getting refreshed. Just as if the monitor is running on 30hz or something like that.
                I sure hope this isn't the famous Parhelia banding effect .

Further the game plays really good, but for some strange reason i can't get city's population higher than 10.000 people. I guess my CPU is limiting here or is slowing me down.
                I've heard from someone else that he played the game 3 days long on a P3-800 and ended up with population 6.000. He then installed the game on an P4 2.4 and had an polulation of 15.000 within one day with the same strategy.
                Last edited by Michel; 27 January 2003, 11:09.
                PIII 1Ghz|AbitSa6R|512mb Kingston|Matrox Parhelia 512 Retail|80gb WD & 30gb IBM 75gxp|Diamond MX300 A3d 2.0|36xcdrom|6x32AopenDVD|Sony DRU500A|Intel Pro 10/100 S|IIyama Vision Master Pro 450 | Celly 300a@450 'server' powered by a G400MAX

Comment

jup its the banding
                  Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

its not just faa
                    4x anti dosent work either
                    you get white lines instead of black ones when you scroll to the left

Does it happen with radeons?

other that that it (once Anti Anilising turned off) it works perfectly
                    (thats on a "P") And if you a sim city fan is defeantly worth getting Major graphs and game play updates
                    The underlying fact of the essence of life is if you stand on your head everything becomes upsid edown

Comment

AA doesn't even work with my 9700...

Comment

Originally posted by Novdid
                        AA doesn't even work with my 9700...
                        4x anti = 4xFSAA

Comment

What do you mean?

Do you think I don't know that "4x anti" means 4x AA or what?

The was directed to the people that made the game. I can't get the game to run at 32bit, as my Radeon can't do AA when running in 16bit colour depth I don't get AA.

Do you get it now? Do I need to be more clear?

Comment

Originally posted by thop
                            I have only checked out the Game for 30 minutes or so (same old stuff, just fancier gfx), but it runs perfectly well at 800x600x32 with my g400. Only tested with 10 or so buildings so.
                            What size population do you have now and what are your system specs?

Thanks,

Dave
                            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Novdid

What do you mean?

Do you think I don't know that "4x anti" means 4x AA or what?

The was directed to the people that made the game. I can't get the game to run at 32bit, as my Radeon can't do AA when running in 16bit colour depth I don't get AA.

Do you get it now? Do I need to be more clear?

I think your previous post was not clear
                              Now, it's ok.

Comment

Working...
                              X