Extraction programs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extraction programs?

What's the best universal compression program out there? I'm really picky about the details when it comes to these. I need something that will do RARs, ZIPs, and ACEs mostly. A few years back, I used a free prog called Power Archiver, but as of 2000 it was no longer free.

I COULD always install WinZIP, WinACE, WinRAR, etc (or maybe just the last 2), but I hate having more than one program like that integrated into my shell, etc...I know I can disable shell integration, but still. I'd rather just stick with one universal, very configurable, preferably free tool if possible. Just seeing if there's anything new out there.

Running on WinRar3.11 currently for the same reason.

" Additionally to complete support of RAR and ZIP WinRAR provides basic operations for CAB, ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZ, ACE, UUE, BZ2, JAR and ISO (CD image) files created by other tools: view contents, extract files, show comments and archive information. You do not need to have any external programs to handle these formats"
    Lawrence

Comment

Using WinRAR here too....

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Another WinRar

I had WinZip and WinAce installed till WinRar 3.11.

Comment

WinRAR too!

When you upgrade your WinRar version, the "you must purchase to use this... blah" dialogue resets too.

There is something to keep an eye on:
          Last edited by WyWyWyWy; 26 January 2003, 06:02.
          P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
          Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
          And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

WinACE does all, except RAR3. It has the best shell integration and interface though IMO.
            no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

The new WinACE does RAR3.

But, much like WinRAR, its interface sucks sweaty donkey nuts.

Picozip has an excellent interface, but its error reporting and feedback options are limited.

Power Archiver not only sucks now, but it can't CREATE RAR or ACE files... only decompress them.

I use WinRAR, but I don't like it.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by LvR
                Running on WinRar3.11 currently for the same reason.

" Additionally to complete support of RAR and ZIP WinRAR provides basic operations for CAB, ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZ, ACE, UUE, BZ2, JAR and ISO (CD image) files created by other tools: view contents, extract files, show comments and archive information. You do not need to have any external programs to handle these formats"
                But does it support the newest versions of ACE files?

Comment

Originally posted by WyWyWyWy
                  WinRAR too!

When you upgrade your WinRar version, the "you must purchase to use this... blah" dialogue resets too.

There is something to keep an eye on:
                  http://flakarchiver.sourceforge.net/
                  Cool! Once that program is in Beta, let us all know!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                    The new WinACE does RAR3.
                    It thinks it does. But it doesn't.
                    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

But does it support the newest versions of ACE files?

Have not had too much experience with the very latest (what is that anyway?), but post a small example and I can run it through if you want.
                      Lawrence

Comment

I would, but I no longer run WinACE to compress something with. :-(

I just remember multiple situations where I was forced to get the newest WinACE to extract a file, and that clones wouldn't do it correctly.

Comment

I use Winzip as default archiver (association and context menus.) I keep Stuffit arround since mac service burreau I sometimes receive files from uses it.

Otherwise command prompt is teh win. I create C:\Program Files\Utilities\ComDec folder, put it in path and copy arj.exe, rar.exe, imp.exe and ace.exe there.

For my own archives (mainly breaking up in multiple volumes for file transfer with floppies or Zips nothing beats arj.

arj a -v90000000 -je1 -r archive

Comment

Riiiiiiight.

Umm, welcome to the 21st century. We have WinRAR and WinACE now. Ace is the new ARJ.

- Gurm
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

it seems that the 7z and the UHA are the "best" algorythms at the moment (smallest file sizes). But they are not so good when it comes to elegance of GUI (both) and shell integration (UHA). But they could be usefull when you want the smallest file sizes. And 7-Zip (program behind 7z) can also compress to zip, and does it MUCH better than any other. The ZipMax can be pretty usefull too.

But for daily use WinRAR here...and also zip support in winXP

Comment

Working...
                              X