Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie Backup

Hello everyone,
    A quick question, I just got a DVD-R for backing up all my raw DV footage. I believe the best method is to convert the DV footage to MPEG2 then burn it to the DVD-R. Is this assumption correct?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    -We stop learning when We die, and some
    people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
    Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
    - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
    - Remember 3 is the magic number....

I personally plan on storing all my video-files as divX as soon as i get myself a dvd-burner, but that wont happen for a few more months. divx offers a much better compression rate than mpeg2.

Comment

So divx is ok for editing?

Jeff

Member of the COC!

Food for thought...

Comment

Hmm. This is a good question. I assume you have already edited the video.

If so, then I would archive the WHOLE project in dv format. If you are using MS Pro you can use the smart trim command so that only the parts of the clips are saved, thus reducing storage space.

If you are really going to re-edit again someday, you'll probably want the original native format.

DivX is not good for editing, neither is MPEG-2, although I guess you can do it if you only use "I" frames. That will keep the future editing more "bug proof."

I personally backup the entire project as outlined above and then simply keep the raw footage on the original tape I shot it on. That way you can always go back to the source, and all of your hard editing work is preserved.
        - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Well what I am looking for is a clean way to store the raw footage. For the most part the shots are short, so the raw footage will fit on a dvd ok. Most of it is just stock stuff that I keep around for future use. I would rather not keep it on tape as tape is easily destroyed. But if there is a way to compress it and still have it for later use all the better.

Jeff

Member of the COC!

Food for thought...

Comment

If it is in DV format then saving it in that format will preserve 100% of the original quality. Burn it to DVD and keep the tape, just in case
            - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

DivX is not good for video that may be re-edited later on since MPEG-4 is mainly a distribution format. Later on there will be near-lossless MPEG-4 profiles intended for editing, but they aren't widely available now.

The MSPro "Package" command lets you move all of a projects constituent files & resources into one folder for easier archiving and later restoration.

I usually archive entire projects to removable HDD's using the native profile if a re-edit is likely.

If not then I store a DVD compliant MPEG-2 file.

Dr. Mordrid
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 26 January 2003, 02:53.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Thanks guys,

Jeff

Member of the COC!

Food for thought...

Comment

Working...
                X