BSOD's galore in XP SP1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSOD's galore in XP SP1

have a AIW8500DV and I am running a fresh build of WinXP SP1 (Slipstreamed). Ever since the install i can't seem to play any games. I get a BSOD with ATI2dvag.dll

I am using the following hardware:

Dual XP1800s, Asus A7M266-D, 512MB Reg ECC DDR, 120GB 'cuda V, 80GB 'cuda IV, AIW 8500DV, Live! Player 5.1, Adaptec 2100S, Pioneer DVD-106, PlexWriter 1210S

I am using the 3.0a Catalyst drivers and Dx. 9.
    I am also using the latest Bus master driver for my mobo.
    iam using the SP1 drivers for my Live! due to issues with SMP. The soundcard appears to be OK.

I am also getting BSODs with IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL again pointing to a hardware fault and more recently PFN list corrupt, which according to MS is typically caused by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.

Here is a c'n'p of my conflicts/sharing:

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
    I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF AMD-762 Processor to AGP Controller
    I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON 8500DV

IRQ 21 NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    IRQ 21 Adaptec 2000S Ultra160 SCSI RAID Controller

Memory Address 0xAA000000-0xABDFFFFF AMD-762 Processor to AGP Controller
    Memory Address 0xAA000000-0xABDFFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
    Memory Address 0xAA000000-0xABDFFFFF OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

Memory Address 0xAFE00000-0xBF7FFFFF AMD-762 Processor to AGP Controller
    Memory Address 0xAFE00000-0xBF7FFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge

IRQ 16 ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON 8500DV
    IRQ 16 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF AMD-762 Processor to AGP Controller
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON 8500DV

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB AMD-762 Processor to AGP Controller
    I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON 8500DV

Memory Address 0xA6800000-0xA86FFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
    Memory Address 0xA6800000-0xA86FFFFF Intel(R) PRO/100+ Management Adapter

i have disabled the firewire on my AIW and the list has been updated thusly:

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
    I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF AMD-762 Processor to AGP Controller
    I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON 8500DV

IRQ 21 NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    IRQ 21 Adaptec 2000S Ultra160 SCSI RAID Controller

Memory Address 0xAA000000-0xABDFFFFF AMD-762 Processor to AGP Controller
    Memory Address 0xAA000000-0xABDFFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge

Memory Address 0xAFE00000-0xBF7FFFFF AMD-762 Processor to AGP Controller
    Memory Address 0xAFE00000-0xBF7FFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF AMD-762 Processor to AGP Controller
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON 8500DV

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB AMD-762 Processor to AGP Controller
    I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON 8500DV

Memory Address 0xA6800000-0xA86FFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
    Memory Address 0xA6800000-0xA86FFFFF Intel(R) PRO/100+ Management Adapter

I am not sure if this is a AIW 8500DV problem or a SMP problem or a crappy driver problem.

I have also posted in Rage3d and 2cpu.com. No solutions as yet.

Can you help?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

I can now play games for a bit.
    The BSOD seems to be reasonably random.

Games can lock up, but dont always. UnACEing and installing programs seems to be a trigger.

I have done a memtest using memtest 3.0.
    Everything is ok there.

I ran IBMs DFT and Seagates SeeTools utils and the HD checks out OK (although this was a few days ago when I first got the drive).
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

The solution is.. go back to W2k!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Sorry, Paddy.. I hope you get your mess ironed out. This actually would be my own particular solution, though..

Comment

The problem is that I cant see what is wrong. Unless there is a problem with the new Cat 3.0a drivers... Most people seem to be OK though.

Perhaps I should fall back to the older 2.5 ones.... I am hoping that the people at Rage3D will be able to help there...

Comment

Left the computer on last night with just KaZaA Lite and Outlook running. No roblems this morning... It is definatley somthing that I am doing....

I am going to leave 3DMark2001 looping for a bit.

Comment

After 45mins, 3DMark was still going strong. I guess that is a reasonable indicator that my graphics card is ok.

OK (talking out aloud), what have i established.

FACT: Memory tests OK
            FACT: HD tests OK
            FACT: There are known incompatibilities with my Radeon & Live! and SMP & Live!
            FACT: Computer NEVER BSODs in the night

When my computer starts to die, I get all sorts of errors... Outlook and Explorer frequently explode before the computer BSODs.

OK. So when my cmputer is on at night. It is in 2D and I dont have any sound playing.

When my computer does BSOD I am usually doing several things at once. eg. Outlook, Word, Media Player, WinAmp, WinACE etc...

So perhaps it is the combination of sound output with a high processor activity... ???

The only things that I havn't tested are my Live! and my SMP - to a greater extent.

Step one: Run a distributed @MURC client to thrash SMP (test CPU)
            Step two: Repeat with mp3s playing. (test Live! & CPU)
            Step three: run the 3DMark demo with sound looping. (test GA, CPU and Live!).

Wish me luck!

Comment

after posting IE got a fatal error, twice.

I hate this... Why can't it just work

Comment

Try the omega drivers

they are, in my experience, much better than the original ATI drivers. They arent really different drivers, the guy just puts together the best parts from the ati drivers and adds a few tweaks (liker higher refresh rates for games in win2k, xp)

they work fine with my aiw8500dv, i have used those drivers since i heard of them. im using winxp-sp1 as well, so you should give it a try.

do you have dx9 installed, i think its required for the catalyst 3 drivers, but i might be wrong

edit: nevermind about the dx9, just saw it right at the beginning of your post
                Last edited by Topha; 25 January 2003, 04:29.

Comment

Thanks. I'll give them a try. Although my graphics card doesn't seem to be the problem.

After the IE lockups, there were several more. Each error report pointed to a different dll.

Eventually there was a BSOD with the message Bad Pool Caller.
                  Last edited by Paddy; 25 January 2003, 04:40.

Comment

What PSU do you have?
                    Have you installed the sound card drivers the way Gurm suggested?

And try disabling one CPU when starting up, and see if the problems disappear. You can disable one CPU via the /ONECPU switch in the boot.ini file http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/info/bootini.shtml
                    Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

I am using the stock M$ drivers for my live as they seem to work.

At the moment. I ahve two SETI clients maxing out my CPUs to 100% each.
                      I am ACEing a 4GB video clip
                      I am defragging my primary partition.
                      Winamp is playing a playlist.
                      I have 44instances of internet explorer open.
                      My god... my computer should be on fire by now!

My computer is stable... and infact.. I cant even tell it is doing anything... Is this the benefit of SMP????

Comment

I have a 550W Enermax PSU

Comment

How can I have so many problems when my computer can do this. I think it just doesn't like me. As i said, it only crashes when I am at the keyb.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy [MU]
                            My computer is stable... and infact.. I cant even tell it is doing anything... Is this the benefit of SMP????
                            I'm not sure if I understand your quote, but yes your computer should still feel like it's responsive. Honestly I even like my duallie more, than my main computer (XP1800) .
                            Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                            Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                            Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

It was responsive. It just got to the point where it wouldn't open any more applications.

Comment

Working...
                              X