Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

17"/18" LCD with native 1600x1200, where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17"/18" LCD with native 1600x1200, where?

Topic says it all, where can i find them. Do they even exist?
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

They must...I think some dell laptop displays run that high, and they're 15"...

Comment

Just wondering, how come you want 2MP at 17" or 18"? Kind of small for desktop use at that resolution.

Comment

I'm not sure they exist outside the laptop world. Viewsonic (and no doubt others) have them at 20" or so, but they'll be very expensive.
        Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

With Large Fonts it's great actually. And with crisp LCD fonts even more i suppose I don't like the bulkyness(?) of smaller resolutions.

Comment

They will have one SOON (TM)

Comment

They dont exsist inthe desktop world.

That’s because the pixel pitch multiplied by the resolution defines the screen size of ALL lcd monitors. All LCD monitors are fixed resolution devices. LCD monitors use a matrix of cells so the pixels are in a fixed location and therefore define the native resolution of the monitor. For example a 15” LCD has a pixel pitch of 0.3mm and 1024 horizontal resolution. 1024 x 0.3 = 307mm horizontal. 768 x 0.3 = 230mm. Using Pythagorean theory this works out to 15” Diagonal.

For example a typical 18” LCD monitor with a dot pitch of 0.2805mm and a horizontal viewable area of 359mm has a native resolution of 1280 in the horizontal direction. Math is simple, 359 divided by 0.2805 equals 1279.85 or 1280 if you account for the small rounding error. Same calculation can be made in the vertical direction.

JIm Witkowski
              Chief Hardware Engineer
              Monitorsdirect.com
              Jim at http://www.monitorsdirect.com

Comment

Thanks for the answer Jim. So actually the monitor would just need a smaller dot pich (~0.22mm) for 1600 to work on an 18" LCD. Technically impossible or too small for the eyes?

Comment

Technically possible yes as we see on laptops.

There's a distinct difference between the laptop and desktop monitor markets, and therefore between the panels designed for each. Desktop monitor panels tend to be brighter having better contrast ratios and viewing angles then those high-resolution versions used in laptop displays. In many cases the manufactures intentionally keep viewing angles narrow on laptop monitors for privacy reasons.

Desktop LCD monitors have been designed intentionally for lower resolution (pixels per inch), in order to make them more competitive with the desktop standard CRT monitor. Also most people who what higher pixel densities want larger sized monitors not smaller. High resolution on a small screen is often very difficult for most users due to the small size of text and Icons etc. If you look at the trend for LCD monitors the sizes and approximate dot pitches match (or are close) to those of the standard CRT.

Jim Witkowski
                  Chief Hardware Engineer
                  Monitorsdirect.com
                  Jim at http://www.monitorsdirect.com

Comment

You probably won't see pixel size that small unless you start getting into the specialized range such as 1536x2048 or 2048x2560.
                    Though 19" 2MP is pretty nice. Samsung makes one of those.

Comment

Don't you see quite a lot of laptops at 1400x1050?
                      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Yes, my dad has one (a Dell). And like Kooldino said, some of them are running at 1600x1200 now (and have been for a while).
                        Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

my dell is a 15" uxga screen. it takes a bit of getting used to the small fonts, but i could not go back to anything less than the resolution i am running at now. thes screen is also great for games and dvd's because of the very low response times and high contrast and viewing angles.
                          Dell Inspiron 8200
                          Pentium4m 1.6
                          640mb pc2100
                          64mb gf440go
                          15" uxga ultrasharp
                          40gb 5400rpm hdd 16mb cache

Comment

Re: 17"/18" LCD with native 1600x1200, where?

Originally posted by thop
                            Topic says it all, where can i find them. Do they even exist?
                            Try IBM. They have 200dpi TFT. I think they sell them in the 6000-10000 USD range. That's the direct price for you

Comment

Sounds like a bargain to me Kurt

Comment

Working...
                              X