Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question to Doc and anyone interested in this topic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question to Doc and anyone interested in this topic.

Hi Guys,

My Server tower case can run two power supplies, but currently I only have the one 350w PS, with only one power on switch.

The question goes, what would be the best option if I buy another 350w PS so I can share the power amoungst the two, basically 1 PS to run the MB and cards, and the other to run the drives.

Can I daisy chain the PS's so by using one power-on button, both PS's switch on?

The server tower has the RT2000 with all slots taken up by various cards, and I have 4 hard drves and 1 DVD rom and a CD-R

I think my machine is starving for power and I'd like to do something about it, any idea's??

Regards,
    Elie

Elie,

350W takes a lot of starving and if what you listed is all there is, you shouldn't be anywhere near the limit.

My Marvel system (the one with the modded case) was running on 250W until Sunday (when I overlooked a minor detail and fried it)without problems with all the slots filled, 8 HD:s, DVD, CD-RW, CD and 3 additional PSU fans.
    The RT2K machine has had all the slots filled, up to 10HD:s, DVD, CD-RW, CD and 4 additional PSU fans, all powered by 300W PSU, also without one sign of PSU being starved.

But, I am also interested in knowing the procedure for hooking two PSU:s into the same system.

Pertti

Comment

I agree with Pertti.

In the past multiple power supplies were often necessary because of the high current draw of the drives and other goodies. Now things are different with current draws dropping with each generation of drives due largly go improved motors and low-current circuitry.

CPU current is now the major remaining power issue that hasn't been adequatly addressed. Even this will be coming down due to new power saving designs that will soon be implemented in laptops. You can bet this technology will soon migrate to desktops as well.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Dr Mordrid,
        I think you forget those ultrafast game video cards which draw as much as 15 amps from the PS. Talk about an Energy STAR effort!
        Michka
        I am watching the TV and it's worthless.
        If I switch it on it is even worse.

Comment

I'd be very very careful trying to share the load between two power supplies that were not specifically designed for this.

The normal PC power supplies have switching regulators in them that *depend* on a certain minimum load on the +5V supply. Wihtout that, all bets are off, but I've seen:
          1) overvoltage shutdown, no harm but no power to anything.
          2) power supply self destruction (accindently powered on with zero load)

Situation 2 is what to worry about as transients in its death throes could dammage other connected components.

I thought the second power supply slot in "server" towers was for a redundant supply to automatically take over in case one fails, but I've never looked into the details of if they are "standard" power supplies or not.

--wally.

Comment

yes the second power supply on *server* cases is for redundancy, in my case it was to load share, but it looks like I won't need to, thanks to all your replies.

I never saw anything regarding this on the net, no reviews nothing, that's why I asked here
            If my power supply dies one day, I'll buy a 400watt just in case.

Thanks all,
            Elie

Comment

Working...
            X