MSI KT266Pro2-RU Modding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSI KT266Pro2-RU Modding

I finally had the nerve to do my first real hardware mod: i removed a condensator from my mobo (i admit, i had it removed by someone else, i dont have the equipment ), which allowes it to run with a lower cpu-voltage. This in addition with a modified bios makes it possible to run the xp2600+ on it (133mhz fsb). (max. official supported cpu: 2100+)

I just put the pc back together, so i dont know about long time stability under heavy stress, but so far no instabilities or crashes.

You removed a capacitor and that allowed the lower voltage?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

yep, the guy who removed it for me wasnt so sure about it either, but it works.

Comment

the sheer thought gives me goosebumps
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Removing capacitors????

Ewwww!
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

i admit it sounds weird, and i was a little nervous, but the guys over in the msi forum were quite happy with it, and i didnt hear of anyone who had problems with it. and since im not sure how long they will still produce 133fsb athlons, i thought it was time to put the fastest cpu possible on my mobo. if i had destroyed it i would have needed a new one, yes. but if i hadnt tried it i would have need a new one pretty soon as well, including new ram and all the maybe problems you get when switching to a new board.

and it was worth it, my pc is much faster now. anyone know when the ati 9700 AIW pro will be released in germany?

Comment

Do you know what exactly is a capacitor?
              The danger is that it might damage your other components such as the CPU or burn your house or something.
              P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
              Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
              And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

It was just a small capacitator

my house is still standing and my cpu is running quite cool, cooler than the last one in any case

Comment

How does removing a cap allow lower voltages?

More specifically, what is the function of the capacitors on a mobo?
                  Last edited by Liquid Snake; 25 January 2003, 11:56.

Comment

I have no clue, but it works

Comment

IT IS SUCH A BLOODY MIRACLE
                      that i would rather stay away from it
                      too many days tearing my head when an Abit
                      capacitor blew
                      Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                      ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

didn have any crash so far, and ive been encoding movies most of the time

btw: is it better to reinstall windows after changing the cpu?

Comment

Nah, usually that doesn't matter.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                          X