OLED displays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OLED displays

I was just gonna post this in Wombat's Sony monitor thread...but it's cool enough to desrve a thread of it's own...

oh, the possibility.

Haven't heard much of OLED tech for the past couple of years... In fact, I kind of assumed the tech was dead. Nice to hear it's alive and kicking though, because the idea always sounded very good. Cheaper than TFT, better contrast and luminosity, excellent response times, flatter panels consuming less electricity... Too good to be true? Hope not, me want.

Comment

Wow

Check out the wide viewing angle!
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Bring 'em on!

Any idea how close together you can put separate panels? Imagine tiling a wall with the things...
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

If OLED is really as cheap, bright and easy to produce as they say, it could even take out plasma technology before it really cathces on. If they could produce somehting like a 42" HDTV widescreen display for under $1000, it would destroy the market competition.

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

From what I hear OLED's can now be printed instead of fabbed. Apparently Epson found a way to do it using some of their printing technology and inks containing light-emitting polymers

Of course this would mean absolutely huge displays would be possible at very low cost.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Jammy if they did that it would destroy the market.

I'd expect them to tack on all sorts of state of the art features and charge double for it.
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

and too add to Doc's comment they will also come in flexible varieties, some of which can be rolled up.
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

If they *really want* HD to take off they need basic sets below $1000, say about $600-800. Then the HD market will take off and they'll make their profits on volume as people with DVD decks upgrade their displays.

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                    and too add to Doc's comment they will also come in flexible varieties, some of which can be rolled up.
                    Yup...kinda like those flexible screens they used in "Red Planet".

Dr. Mordrid
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 January 2003, 11:58.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Okay doing some decorating I'll just roll it up and put it somewhere safe. I suppose you could post a huge screen in a tube.
                      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

That's about it, and the electronics could well be in a tubular container/hanging mount, which would also be used for rolling it up for storage.

Dr. Mordrid
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Or you could have a hanging fold down screen, like a projector screen. One of the cool hidden one for people with a little extra cash. All cabling could be hidden in the ceiling. Huge screen without the problems of projectors.

If this OLED thing becomes half as cool as we want it to be, we're in for some toys in the future.

Jammrock
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yeah, but how many years are we going to have to wait?
                            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Why hide them? If OLEDs look the way I think they look, then when they're not showing a movie, they'd finally be the display that would be useful as a "changing painting."
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X