Get your "small" monitors while you can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get your "small" monitors while you can

Sony is phasing out the small 17" and 19" CRTs, and leaving that realm to the LCDs. In <I>2 months</I>.

ExtremeTech is the Web's top destination for news and analysis of emerging science and technology trends, and important software, hardware, and gadgets.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

When did 19" become "small"?

Personally I think it's a bad move from Sony, CRT's are vastly superior to LCD screens in just about every area except casual work.

Comment

I guess the prices will shoot up...
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

though Sony expects that tube stocks at OEMs will be enough for another 6 months, so you'll be able to buy Sony-tube based monitors for some time still.

Appearantly their patents for Trinitron are/will be expired soon, so instead of Sony trinitron tubes the market will probably be flooded with cheap trinitron-tech based tubes (perhaps Mitsubishi Diamontron tubes will get cheaper too?).

Comment

Yes, the patent has already expired. However, I wouldn't be surprised if some "newer" part of Trinitron were still patented.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Just when will LCDs be as good as CRTs?
            P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
            Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
            And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

looks like my next monitor will have to be a 21" CRT one!

Comment

Originally posted by WyWyWyWy
                Good question. If you're just producing documents and general office stuff LCD's are better.
                If you want to watch movies or games very LCD's cut it. Reviewers in pc mags don't seem to realise this and you keep getting headlines like replace your desktop CRT. Nope at the moment you still need both.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

At work we use 4 x HP L1810 18" LCD displays. AFAIAC, CRT's still rule. Just to bad they're so darn big.
                  Umf
                  Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                  [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

On the other hand, I think (but know nothing) that with LCD technolgy it is far easier to creat a screen that bends round around u. Personal fantasy to have an LCD that u can step into to have some real immersion (right word?)
                    Umf
                    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I'm not fretting. While I like trinitrons, I never have, nor have i really wanted to ever own one. Those grey lines drive me batty.

Plus with Sony making less CRTs, they can concentrate on better LCDs (which we really need), and they can improve their big CRTs, since their spec is less than impressive on the high end.

Comment

IMO the damper wires are not really noticeable (probably because I have been using them close to 8 years)

Current Sony LCDs are not that good. I would rather stick with ViewSonic instead (at least their specs are nice on paper). Now... they should be focusing on LCDs, good move as far as the "general use" market is concerned (IAW screw the entry level DCC guys). Hope they improve themselves quickly.

17" LCDs at 1600x1200@85Hz, 10ms, 1:800 contrast, dualDVI input, 10-bit support anyone?

Comment

They would probably gain more profit by doing so.
                          Better LCD technology -> smaller number of born-dead LCDs -> more profit (as they are more expensive than competitors anyway!)
                          P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                          Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                          And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

As the world's biggest pessimist, I must say this is not much of a surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by WyWyWyWy
                              NEC Mitsubishi will be releasing TFT screens based on LEDs. They claim 107% of NTSC signal (not sure how I'm supposed to phrase this) versus 70% for CRTs (93% color accuracy for the best CRT).

So the answer should be: soon...

Comment

Working...
                              X