Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unable to edit an AVI (Huffyuv 2.1 codec)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to edit an AVI (Huffyuv 2.1 codec)

Hello, I took Dr Mordrids advice (http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum2/HTML/004508.html) and everything is working excelent! Very impressed with the quality of MPEG that comes from the Tsunami Encoder. But I have a cituation. I recorded something with AVI_IO (timer record), YUY2 320x240 with Huffyuv 2.1 compression. Since it was timer I set it to record 5 minutes before and 5 after (1/2 hour show). I woke up this morning and found two files on my hard drive (I set AVI_IO to record in 4G files). 1 file of 3.89G and the other 263M. SO I wanted to convert it to MPEG1 (VCD) so I loaded up Tsunami and opened the first file and started to encode and left it for a bit. I came back and remembered that I had the extra five minutes of video at the begining. And thats when the delema starts. I loaded Avid thinking I could edit it with that. Nope. I loaded MSP(v5.0) and it gives me an "Illegal Operation with huffyuv.dll" error when ever I try to do ANYTHING with the video. I even tried to just play it with QuickTime(End of file), and WMedia Player(Unexpected Error), both with no avail.

I don't know what program I should use to edit it with. I don't need to do anything special. Just need to cut some video out, nothing special.

If all you're doing is chopping pieces out of a raw video stream (beginning, end, commercials, etc), then VirtualDub may be a good choice. If you're using NT4 or 2000 with NTFS, VirtualDub is an excellent choice, since it will capture to a single file, eliminating a lot of nonsense when capturing a considerable amount of video.

It takes a bit to get used to VirtualDub's controls, but once you do, it's pretty easy, and fast. I'll do a two-hour HuffYUV capture at 640x480x30, generating a 45-50 GB single file, and spend only 4-5 minutes after the capture is completed chopping out commercials and starting the compression process. Of course, compression takes all night, but that's the price we pay for good video

Comment

I tried VirtualDub but it gives me the same error "Virtualdub has caused an error in Huffyuv.dll. Virtualdub will now close blah blah blah" I don't know whats going on...

Comment

Hi!
        Yep...I'm experiencing the same problem. After finally getting my throughput issue resolved (well..relatively), installed Flying Dutchman's YUY-enabler and the HuffYUV2.1 codec.

Did 2 test captures yesterday...one with 'output to RGB'...the other without. The captures went fine.

However, there was no way for me to view the avi afterward. Tried it in every player and mmedia proggy I own.....nada.

Anyone have any clue what I (we) are doing wrong here and how to resolve it? Everything was installed according to the directions.

Thanks!
        -funsoul
        mmedia pc: 2x2.4/533 xeons@3.337ghz, asus pc-dl, 2g pc3500 ddram, 27g primary, 2x120 WD's, promise fastrack100, matrox g400-tv, hercules soundcard Server box: p4 1.4GHz, asus p4t, 1g ecc rdram, 27.3g primary, 3x80g maxtors, promise fastrack66, radeon ve, soundblaster Beat box: p3 500, asus p3bf6, 1024meg pc100, 45g primary, 3x45g maxtors, soundblaster, radeon ve, dazzle vcII

Comment

I had the same problem a while back. I reinstalled HuffYUV 1.2 and everything is fine now, although it can't read avi files compressed with the newer version.

Kevin

Comment

Theres a new verion of huffyuv out that corrects serious effors with MSP6 and Premiere - There were no reported errors with VDub from memory.

Get it from the usual channels: http://www.math.berkeley.edu/~benrg/huffyuv.html

Comment

What gets me is that this problem seems inconsistant. I haven't seen it at all in MSPro, but it nailed me the other day in Premiere. Hmmmm....

At any rate the new 2.1.1 version works properly in both programs.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
              X