Job interview help...IT tests?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job interview help...IT tests?

I've just got an interview with Sun for server support, and it includes a "[ 45min ] general IT test (multiple choice)" - great

I doubt it will pose much problems, but just wondering if anyone here has had such a test, or even better, a Sun IT test

Any ideas?

P.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Do you know what a Sun Ultra Karamender is?

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

erm this is a mouse...
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
        Do you know what a Sun Ultra Karamender is?

Dave
        I don't. What is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
          I don't. What is it?
          I think its fake....nothing comes up on google
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

hehe, yeah it's nothing...Just thought I'd have some fun

Dave
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Sun web admin: Hey, what are all these hits to our product search for - what's a Kramender? Sorry, Karamender?

Paddy: It's a mouse.
              Meet Jasmine.

Comment

What is the default shell under Solaris 9?
                What is the name of the firewall app under Solaris 9?
                How many versions of Solaris 9 are there?
                How many hardware platforms does Solaris 9 support?
                Which Linux distribution is approved by Sun?
                What is Java Beans?
                What is the difference, advantages and disadvantages between JSP and Java Servlets?
                What do J2EE, J2SE and J2ME stand for?
                How many processors does the Sun Fire 6800 support?
                How much is the 6800 with 4 processor and 8GB memory?
                What is the fastest UltraSPARC III processor?
                Sun Blade and Sun Ray, which has TFT monitor as default?
                How many Sun certificates are there for Network Storage?
                Can you use the latest Sun CRTs on standard IBM-compatible PCs?
                How big is the Sun Fire V100 server? (1U, 2U, 3U, 4U, 7U, 8U or 12U)
                Is it too much or is it not enough?
                P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Hey Pace, great future to work for sun wish you luck!

BTW be sure to bring some java on your general IT test day.

Comment

Just finished the Sun test...no questions whatsoever on Sun products (Solaris, Java etc).

It covered Windows, Word, Access, Mac, Network etc, with questions like "What is Active X?", "What's the difference between a hub and a switch?", "What OSI layer communicates with..." bleh

One question of note, they asked what was statement was 'wrong' about DVDs:

* You can write to both sides
                    * They store 17GB
                    * You can play Audio DVDs in CD players
                    * They use UDF

The answer I assumed they were looking for was the DVD-A incompatibility, however, some of you may be aware that there is a standard that allows DVD-A disks to be used in CD players (which is roughly stick a normal CD on the back ). I pointed it out, and they guy was (hopefully) impressed! hehe

I was able to ask some questions on Sun though, and I always like to have some background knowledge, so thanks for the suggestions - and the time I spent searching for the Karamender also turned up random Sun info

Can't believe I was at their offices though - different class. I've been accepted by <a href="http://www.arnoldclark.co.uk/">Arnold Clark</a> (who may or may not <a href="http://www.chez.com/arnoldclark/">suck</a>), and the contrast is unbelievable.

Wy: It's too much, plain and simple. It should 42.
                    Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Pace-didn't sound bad, but at least they tapped your brain a tad.

Comment

Yeah, when they said 'general IT' I thought it meant more simple stuff, but as I say some of it was rather probing.

And to try and make my NT comments more in topic, I now combine the threads, here's my <strong>Apologies, now a Windows NT 4 query...study guides, MCSE et al</strong> thread (which I created as I needed a quick response)
                        I've got 2 interviews tomorrow now, one with Sun which has a general IT test, and another with Fujitsu/Siemens which has a NT4 test.

I now require any info on NT4, just to browse over to allow me to cope with a multiple choice test. If it's quite intense it wont matter anyway, as I'll fail miserably. Just a quick overview as I say, but I'll welcome any useful guides/exams you can throw my way. Feel free to PM over this as well, should you be posting stuff that might be objected to by anyone

P.
                        The NT4 test actually covered NT4 Workstation, Server and some basic networking principles.

Some questions that I can recall...
                        A machine with number 123.96.23.100 is using what? (TCP/IP)
                        What's used to resolve host names to addresses by TCP/IP? (DNS)
                        What spec cable is for 10BaseT? (Cat 3, not Cat 5 )
                        I got the best score of the day, 19/25, then he marked it right and I got 20/25

One I got wrong was the minimum memory required to install NT4 Server, I thought it was 24MB for WS and 32MB for Server, turns out it's 16MB. I'd studied the networking side in depth, maybe I should've looked at the box
                        Last edited by Pace; 24 January 2003, 13:55.
                        Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Working...
                        X