Paddy vs. Sky vs. BT vs. ADSL :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paddy vs. Sky vs. BT vs. ADSL :(

I have had a phone call from Sky to say that I am in breach of contract as my sky box has not been connected to the phone line since October. In order to rectify the situation I either reconnect the line or payup >£250.

I run upstairs and find that the line is in fact connected. I run a series of test on the line and cable and find no problems. Rather confused, I phoned Sky and asked them for more information. It is then that I realise that I had ADSL installed towards the end of October. Perhaps that could be the problem???

Anyway, Sky wants me to sort it out pronto or they want the cash.

I phoned BT to ask about any incomaptibilities with Sky and having ADSL enabled on the exchange. They tell me that there are no problems and I should phone my ISP as it is probably their hardware causing the fault.

I replied that I have no hardware from them and I am simply using a router. BT replied, 'no sir, you must be mistaken, you need our USB modem to use ADSL'. I banged my head against the wall a few times and said that I dont have a USB modem and I would be happy to explain how it works if she would like?
    Anyway, SKy are pointing the finger at BT. BT are pointing the finger at my ISP for their phantom hardware and I am stuck in the middle. Ba$tards.

Any idea how to persue this? I am hesitant to allow an engieer around as i have modified all the master phone sockets . I know that is not related as i did it a long time before.

Good job i'm drunk
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Time to keep a record off all conversations and confirm everything by letter and/or email. Wouldn't worry about the sockets as ours have been altered and nothings have been said.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Paddy, did you put a filter/splitter on the cable to the sky box?

Comment

eYup. I have tried it with and without.
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Why do you have to have a sat box connencted to the phone system????
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Its part of the contract for a discounted installation rate.
            I guess Sky use it for marketing purposes. I am sure they can download a list of what programs we've viewd and when etc...

Comment

Find out what their box uses, does it use a normal dial up modem connection or does it use something wierd?

Simply put, if its dial up, it should go on the phone side of your dsl splitter and should continue to work as a fax would. if they are doing something weird with the connection. it falls into BT's lap.

The other option is the sky box has snuffed it.

With BT, if you get the same - you need our USB modem stuff again just go directly to the next support level, make sure you get their name at the begining of the conversation and then if you get the run around, ask them by name to be put onto their supervisor - keep going up the ladder until you cause a stink.
              remember to leave a swath of bodies on the way.

Dan
              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

A bit off topic but...
                Is there any advantage to switch to Sky Digital from (cheapy) NTL cable TV?
                P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

ya see now we have off topic tags, - see the site feedback forum

Dan
                  Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by WyWyWyWy
                    A bit off topic but...
                    Is there any advantage to switch to Sky Digital from (cheapy) NTL cable TV?
                    I have NTL everything - phone, tv & 1Mbit Broadband.

I find the TV service to be shite. The box has been replaced twice and the interactive stuff still hardly works. Whenever they say 'press the red button now' then mean 'unless you have NTL in which case forget it'.

T.

@Paddy - I suspect a faulty box.
                    FT.

Comment

Paddy,

1. Check the number it is dialing, I think it is in set up some where, there have been some boxes programmed with the wrong phone number. You may need to ask sky where to find this.

2. How may phones have you got connected, more that 4 and you may have problems.

3. After I had dsl the line signal on my phone system degraded, the dsl was just fine (a replacement splitter didn't work) so I had to replace all of the phone cable for it to be rectified. I do think that a splitter degrades the signal (as it is a line filter ) and if you existing cabling is not upto scratch you could have problems.

My sky box is hardly ever connected and they have never called me, I have never used any pay for services so they prob aren't that bothered.

Breezer
                      Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

I have checked the phone number.
                        I have three phones and the ADSL

I called my ISP today. They were pissed off that BT hadn't informed me that there are known incompatibilities with ADSL and teh sky box.

After many phone calls today, BT insist that there is not a problem at their end. They are willing to send an engineer out, but they want £65 if there is not a fault related to them.

Sky insist that as the Sky box was working until ADSL was installed, then it must be a problem with BT. They are willing to send an engineer out, but they want £65 if there is not a fault related to them.

If i unplug the phone line from the sky box and connect it to a phone, the phone works.

I am trying to get the two ocmpanies to work togeather. They can send one engineer out, and the owner of the faulty kit pays the bill.

I am going mad!

Comment

I have now resorted to written abuse:

[rant]
                          I have been corresponding with your colleagues over the past few days about a fault with my Sky box.

As the situation has become increasingly complicated I feel that I must contact you by writing so that at least you have written documentation regarding my complaint.

My Sky box is reporting that it is not connected to my BT phone line. If I remove the phone cable and connect it to a phone, I can hear a dialling tone and the phone works perfectly.

Interestingly, if I perform a system test on the Sky box whilst the phone cable is removed, then the system reports that the line is busy.

Unfortunately, to complicate matters, your last recorded contact with my Sky box was on the 26th of October 2002. A fortnight later I had ADSL installed on the BT phone line.

Now all my other electronic equipment is working perfectly and BT has repeatedly assured me that there are no line faults.

Now you colleagues at Sky are more than happy to send an engineer out providing that I will pay any charges incurred by the fault not being related to your hardware. BT has also said the same. Now this leave me in a catch-22 situation as I am not qualified to make any judgement as to where the fault lies and both your colleagues and BT are just pointing the ‘finger’ at each other. To compound the issue further, I have been verbally informed that I am now in breach of my contract and that I am liable to pay for the full price of the Sky installation unless I can resolve the matter.

I hereby give Sky notice that I do not want any monies to be debited from my account apart from the usual monthly subscription.

I would be grateful if you could look into this matter further as I am greatly dissatisfied with the level of customer service that I have received.
                          [/rant]

Comment

Working...
                          X