Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows

32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor, written by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1-bit of competition.
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Thats what I have been trying to tell you!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

LOL. But was the 8086 really 4 bit? I'm pretty sure it was 8...

Comment

dos was apropriated from a os for a 4 bit computer, altair or something..I think.

Comment

what about the 4004?

1970, Intel i4004, Der allererste Mikroprozessor. 4 bit data bus, 12 bit address
          Last edited by KvHagedorn; 22 January 2003, 19:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
            LOL. But was the 8086 really 4 bit? I'm pretty sure it was 8...
            8088 was the original chip in the PC...despite the numbering scheme. The later chips are descended from the 8086 (arguably a better chip than the 8088.)

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

All foolish, as current iterations of windows have nothing but aesthetics in common with Win9x.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                8088 was the original chip in the PC...despite the numbering scheme. The later chips are descended from the 8086 (arguably a better chip than the 8088.)

- Gurm
                That's right. If i can recall correctly, the 8088 was actually faster, but the 8086 just had something different about it (number of bits? or bus bandwidth or something?) which made common programs run on it faster.

Comment

I think the 8086 had a shared address/data bus, and needed an external chip(s) to separate the two!

Comment

The 8086 and 8088 were both 16-bit processors. The 8086 had the full 16-bit data bus, and the 8088 data bus was cut down to 8 bits (so it had half the bandwidth). Otherwise they were identical, so saying later chips were descended from the 8086 as opposed to the 8088 is a bit silly.

The 8088 was used in PCs first, but I think the 8086 came before it (IBM were being cheap, they only thought the personal computer market would last a couple of years, which is why the PC architecture was/is such a horrible wreck).
                    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

common i mean who doesnt like micrsoft
                      The underlying fact of the essence of life is if you stand on your head everything becomes upsid edown

Comment

Only you guys can turn a joke into something technical! Hehe.
                        Titanium is the new bling!
                        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Yeah but it's a stupid joke, probably thought up by someone who runs a Mac. Linux users aren't funny enough to come up with that sort of thing.

- Gurm

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                            Only you guys can turn a joke into something technical! Hehe.
                            Yeah !
                            But leave it to us to turn something technical into a joke...

Jörg
                            pixar
                            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                              Linux users aren't funny enough to come up with that sort of thing.

- Gurm
                              LOL
                              Titanium is the new bling!
                              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Working...
                              X