NT4 Logon on errors an licensing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NT4 Logon on errors an licensing.

At the one school we've been having logon trouble with one of the servers. It was constructed/installed more than two years ago apparently with per connection licensing which apparently never had any additional licenses added to the licensing manager.

When the gentleman I work for got there. He set about getting all the licenses correct and up to date. The school ended up with per seat licensing. The problem:

Whenever 10+(?) machines are logged on with a non-administrator account, the network will no longer allow any non-administrator to log on for a small but unknown number of minutes. It's really irritating when a class comes into a lab that has been off for the weekend and tries to logon. The network quickly gives up. One faculty member out of frustration one day gave away her username and password to the students which is of course very bad.

I'd been surfing on the issue and came up with a comment about 2K and licensing problems with not for resale versions having similar problems. Now this does not necessarilly directly apply to the problem but it got me to thinking and I checked out the licensing on the server.

As a test, I disabled the licensing service and brought the whole lab to the point where I could run through and log on each machine by just hitting enter. I ran through hit each one in under one minute an lo and behold! They all came up when this would never work before.

My question actually is then would switching the server to per seat licensing fix this as well since that is what the school actually has anyway without disabling the service?
    I told the teachers that bring their whole classes into the lab to tell me if they see the error again.
Working...
X