Standalone DVD-player!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standalone DVD-player!!!

I'm looking for a good DVD-player. The reason is that I got a real good TV 1 month ago and I thought a DVD player would go nicely with it. This is my TV thread, if you're curious what TV I got.

Anyway, this is what I want the player to support

Top priority:
    Digital sound output connectors
    Ability to view digital pictures.

What I also would like it to support:
    Ability to easily make it region free.

Keep in mind that I live in Europe and that some brands that are widely available in other continents are difficult to find here.

Other than that the field is free to make suggestions.

dZeus pointed me to this excellent site, but I thought I would also let you people have a say in the matter.

Thanks for looking through this!

Pioneer has my vote.

They are easy to MOD (it does involve cracking the cover open but I don't peg you as the afraid-to-tinker type).

They play damn near every format known to man except DIVX.

And they're relatively inexpensive.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

I won't even try to speak for European players. The offerings are vastly different from American ones.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Pioneer offer a great SACD/DVD-V player (maybe DVD-A as well), 735/745? Or am I thinking of SiS here

Edit: 747A

Short <a href="http://www.totaldvd.net/frame.html?http://www.totaldvd.net/reviews/DVDPlayers/Pioneer/PioneerDV-747A.php" title="Total DVD Reviews - Pioneer DV-747A">review of the Pioneer 747A</a> that google pulled.
        Last edited by Pace; 21 January 2003, 17:34.
        Meet Jasmine.
        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I've been looking a lot at this one http://www.mm-vision.dk/default.asp?...&varenr=933310 the english text is below the danish. Plays DivX too
          "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

The Philips DVD-763SA looks good. So does the Pioneer Pace, but it doesn't support picture (JPG) viewing so that one's out.

Comment

CHHAS, that one looks impressive. But lets see if I find one in Sweden or else a trip to Copenhagen is needed. That's no problem though as it takes no more than 30 min with the train!

Comment

I hear the KISS players can do Ogg Vorbis now as well (with a firmware upgrade). Anyone know how good their video output is?
                Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Originally posted by Novdid
                  The Philips DVD-763SA looks good. So does the Pioneer Pace, but it doesn't support picture (JPG) viewing so that one's out.
                  Ah, that's a new feature on me. What players actually have this?
                  Meet Jasmine.
                  flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

The Kiss DP-450 has it. That player seems to have everything, feature-wise.

Shame the website sucks ( http://www.kissdvd.com )
                    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

If I go high end the Philips DVD-763SA seems to be the best choice and if I go low end the Philips DVD-733 seems to be the best choice.

Reason is that few other good DVD players that I have available in my reach support picture viewing. And that so far I have only heard good things about Philips DVD players.

Comment

OK guys, I got the Philips DVD-763SA.

Let's see how good it is, if it's up to my standards! I couldn't find the Kiss player anywhere. It's sad as the specs on that player is unreal, although I have my doubts on the manufacturing quality.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Comment

I still have my good ol' Apex AD-600a. Gotta love that hidden menu . I'll be looking for a new one as well. Please report on your experiences with the player.

Comment

Will do!

Comment

No doubt Ribbit.. flash only site optimized for 640x480 viewing pleasure (or rather blindness on a 21" monitor
                              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X