Looking for a tft SCreen !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a tft SCreen !

Well I'm looking to purchase a tft screen to accompany my Parhelia in an aid to get rid of the banding, preferably a 17 inch or over Where do I start ...lol I usually stick with CRT's but I dont like the banding.

Check out the Hitachi CML174, I have an older model (the CML171) and I'm happy with it . The 174 however, has the fastest update speeds of any LCD I've ever seen.

Comment

Been using a Dell 2000FP (20.1in) and its great for everything I've thrown at it. I got it for $900 bucks back in December.
      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

The Planar PL191M is a pretty nice monitor also.

It uses Fujitsu MVA glass which is pretty darned sweet. Pretty sure its listed under Dell's lcd monitor pages. There is a $50 rebate on the Planar website for this model also, through the end of the month.

Comment

Originally posted by the maddman
          Check out the Hitachi CML174, I have an older model (the CML171) and I'm happy with it . The 174 however, has the fastest update speeds of any LCD I've ever seen.

http://www.tech-pc.co.uk/hitachi_lcd-1.php
          Holy CRAP, Batman!

That's 16ms round-trip worst-case! Hot damn!

So the average is a lot lower. Wowee, more than 50fps on an LCD? I'm in love.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
            Holy CRAP, Batman!

- Gurm
            Yeah I know, anyone want to buy a CML171 so I can get one too?

Comment

Now, if it could do 24bpp....
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

$650...a pricey part.

Gotta give hitachi credit for their monitor, but a desktop LCD display is still a way off for me. As they get better, they tend to have their native resoultion higher and higher. I'll want a 19" or bigger LCD, but I'll want to run 1152x864 on it. And with this monitor, it will be stretched/blurred. I have to wait until they perfect those scaling engines...and come down in price.

EDIT: 3dfx, wouldn't it just be cheaper to buy a card that doesn't band??

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
                  $650...a pricey part.

Gotta give hitachi credit for their monitor, but a desktop LCD display is still a way off for me. As they get better, they tend to have their native resoultion higher and higher. I'll want a 19" or bigger LCD, but I'll want to run 1152x864 on it. And with this monitor, it will be stretched/blurred. I have to wait until they perfect those scaling engines...and come down in price.

EDIT: 3dfx, wouldn't it just be cheaper to buy a card that doesn't band??
                  Don't forget that LCD's are measured by viewable, monitors by tube size. I moved from a 19" Mitsubishi CRT to a Hitachi 17" LCD. I used to run 1152x864 on the CRT, and I won't ever go back. Text is so much cleaner on the LCD, I'll live with the ghosting until I can afford a faster panel. But I'm such a stickler for clean, square text, I'll never go back to analog. Hopefully 24bit LCD's are the next things to start turning up. Oddly enough, Hitachi's website lists the LCD panel specs as "Not Published by Manufacturer" Kinda scary there....

-edit-
                  Oh, and my LCD cut about $5 a month from my electric bill here in California. My 19" monitor drew over 60watts of power. I do miss the extra heat right now though. But I've saved over $100 in cooling and power bills already with my LCD.
                  -edit-

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                    Holy CRAP, Batman!

- Gurm
                    not the best in color fidelity though...

I'd wait a little bit as new models are released in this period (I've seen an ADI model with 13ms -might be a typo though...).

Nec-Mitsubishi has just released some 20ms monitors that are quite ok at less than $500 (LCD1711M -just replaced my trusty Iiyama AS-4315UT).

Eizo are plain gorgeous, but probably not for games...(and you have to be able to afford them)

Comment

EDIT: 3dfx, wouldn't it just be cheaper to buy a card that doesn't band?? [/B]
                      Lol I suppose you are right tbh, but there are a couple of reasons and one is I would like to see the Parhelia without banding and 2 I would like to see the parhelia without banding I have another card the Radeon 9700 which has no banding at all apart from some colour banding you get when forcing 16 bit games to run in 32 bpp so smoothvision works.

Comment

Funnily enougth the 18 inch range they don't give response times.
                        But Hitachi are once set lcd's I'm looking at for gaming.
                        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by the maddman
                          Don't forget that LCD's are measured by viewable, monitors by tube size. I moved from a 19" Mitsubishi CRT to a Hitachi 17" LCD. I used to run 1152x864 on the CRT, and I won't ever go back. Text is so much cleaner on the LCD, I'll live with the ghosting until I can afford a faster panel. But I'm such a stickler for clean, square text, I'll never go back to analog. Hopefully 24bit LCD's are the next things to start turning up. Oddly enough, Hitachi's website lists the LCD panel specs as "Not Published by Manufacturer" Kinda scary there....
                          This I understand. But I'm firm on a 19". I run a 21" hitachi at home with a 20" viewable area. So even a 19" will be a step down in viewable area size. My current monitor does 2048x1536, it's a flat tube, .21x.14 dot pitch, yadda yadda. Pricey monitor...but she don't look too shabby.
                          :-)

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                            Funnily enougth the 18 inch range they don't give response times.
                            But Hitachi are once set lcd's I'm looking at for gaming.
                            Yeah, anything bigger than 17" nowaday tends to not have a very hot response time.

Comment

It all depends on the glass type, thats why I listed the one I did earlier. A large portion of 17+ LCDs are IPS (in plane switching) which gives nice color and viewing angle, but crappy slow response times. Smaller cheaper LCDs are TN (twisted neumatic) which are medium speed switching, but lousy viewing angle and contrast. The newest and best type is VA (Vertical alignment), also sometimes shown as MVA or PVA. I do a lot of analysis of lcd technology and quality at work, and the 19" PL191M is pretty nice, with dvi and analog connectors and 15ms switching. Plus you can't beat the 3 year warranty.

Comment

Working...
                              X