Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon 8500 troubles

Ok I just recieved my Radeon 8500 64 DDR

Uninstalled my G400 and put in the Radeon and fire it up. Loads to windows, I install the drivers and proceed to load up something.

But, this thing locks up within 3 seconds of launching any 3D app!
    Even clicking advanced in display properties takes a good 10 seconds to load??

Did I get a bum card or is something wrong with my system.
    Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Which drivers?

Which Windows?

Which DirectX?

Didja uninstall the G400 drivers first?

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Catalyst 3.0
      Windows ME
      DirectX 8.1

I just removed G400 from the Device Manager listings, do i need to remove the drivers and powerdesk as well? I thought when removing the hardware itself, everything linked to it becomes inactive?
      Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

afaik, Cat3.x and up require DX9. As well, go get the latest Cat 3.0a or even try cat 2.5 or a version by omegadrive.

The first cat3.0 was a bit of a fubar

All good now tho.

disregard my sig, I havent updated the drivers or anything for a while.
        AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

I would go for dx9 and the newer cat3, works well I my system and is a tad faster in games(and smoother)

Comment

I would also stop overclocking until you get this sorted out. It could be a bus speed issue, or even a power issue.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I just threw it in my friends system (P3-550mhz, Abit BX 133 mobo,Windows XP pro) and it seemed to work fine. I'm thinking it just maybe a power problem. Any known issues with Radeon 8500 and BH6 boards??

hmmm under adapter properties the chip type is listed as Radeon 8500 (QL) rev 0 is that what its supposed to be?

P.S. with my O/C the bus is still 100mhz so with 2/3 divider, AGP is within spec
              Last edited by Maniac; 20 January 2003, 23:49.

Comment

The catalyst drivers do not require DirectX 9, but i would throw it on anyway. Try what has been suggested and apply the latest drivers.
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Thoughts:

1. ME is a known trouble spot, finding the right drivers might be a pain.

2. Regardless of the AGP slot being in spec, the overclock is going to push things... put it back to normal and just see if it all works.

3. The good combinations are:

- Catalyst 2.4 + DX8.1
                  - Catalyst 3.0a + DX9

Others might work for you (including Omega drivers).

4. Ask at Driver Heaven or Rage 3D. They're the ATI experts.

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

You should actually uninstall the G400 drivers, unstead of just removing the device from device manager. It actually doesn't really deactivate the drivers, they are still referenced in the startup files. Just that windows looks for the device, and only loads the drivers for the devices that it finds... theoretically. I've seen it get confused several times and still try scanning for the missing hardware and cause odd things.

Comment

Ok all powerdesk drivers are uninstalled, directx9 + latest catalyst drivers off ATi website installed. I also enabled fast AGP writes (previously unchecked) Now it will run 3dmark 2001SE for 30sec-2min and instead of freezing, it will either BSOD, or bounce me back to the desktop. Maybe its something in my BIOS settings?

P.S. went down to 566mhz (66bus) with little difference

Comment

can you run an opengl game?

hmm, it *maybe* hardware , a bh6 is a bit old anf may not be up to powering a 8500....(don't rule out drivers yet tho)

I would disable fastwrites and set agp to 1x in the bios as a test, and maybe underclock the board to see if it makes adifference

so you have a
                        bh6
                        566 celeron
                        8500, what clocks is it a retail 275/275 or slower?
                        how much memory
                        and what kind of PSU?

Comment

The ATi 3.0a drivers are litttle dodgy. I did a clean install of my mates machine with Win2k and DX9 and he was unable to get into advanced properties etc. Reinstalled again (nothing to do that day) and then everything suddenly worked?

He's a bit peeved as he is unfortunate enough to have both Ati and Creative.

Comment

He's a bit peeved as he is unfortunate enough to have both Ati and Creative.
                            Tell me about it
                            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Umm... turn OFF Fast Writes. It causes instability.

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                              X