Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I compile the Matrox Beta 2.0 drivers on my XFree 86 V 4.2.1 server ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I compile the Matrox Beta 2.0 drivers on my XFree 86 V 4.2.1 server ?

Hi,
    I'm kind of a Linux newbie, but I do have compiled a cuple drivers and programs from source already.
    As long as I find OK howto's I'm usually alright.
    I'm running Linux Mandrake 9.0 with XFree86 V 4.2.1 and KDE 3.0.3 with a Matrox Millenium G450 at work.
    At home I've got a nVidia card where I had to compile drivers from source but that wasn't any problem with the help I got from the readme files and f.a.q's at nVidia...
    Anyway my problem is the machine at work where I want 3d accelerated hardware support for my Matrox graphics card, but the Beta v 2.0 drivers that Matrox ships doesn't support my XFree86 version 4.2.1, they want my version to be 4.2.0.
    So I've been searching through the Matrox Linux forum at matrox.com trying to find help, and the people there says that the install script doesn't run on a XFree86 version 4.2.1 (and I know that) but they also say the following :

"but the current drivers DO work with 4.2.1. It's just that the install script THINKS that it doesn't work.

Get the latest drivers from Matrox's site. Untar them and change dir to mgadrivers/xfree86/4.2.0/drivers/ and copy these files to you /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers directory.

You should also copy the mgadrivers/xfree86/4.2.0/dri/mga_dri.so file to /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri"

well this only helps me half the way, 'cause being a linux newbie I can manage to put the files mentioned on the right places but that's pretty much it ! what's next then ? If I try to rerun the install script it still tells me that it doesn't support my version of XFree86...

Some of you here must have installed a working Matrox card under XFree86 v 4.2.1, and I really need detailed information or some links with info on how to get my card up and running with hardware accelerated 3d support

jegeren

All you need to do is copy the driver files over. Don't bother with the install script.
    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Thanks,
      so I copied the files to the locations mentioned, but I still need to load DRI to take advantage of the hardware accelerated 3d, I read through the readme file that came with the drivers.
      I did the "lsmod" command and it didn't list any "agpgart" nor "mga", so I tried to manually load them with "insmod agpgart" and it gave me the output "Using /lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o.gz
      /lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o.gz: init_module: No such device
      Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg"

Acording to the readme file I have to compile and install a new "mga.o" module, so I was going to do that, but then I need the XFree86 source code + my kernel source kode (pretty frustrating)....
      So I'm stuck again 'cause the XFree86 source files doesn't seem to come with my Mandrake installation cd's, and I just couldn't figure out www.XFree86.org how to download and install the source..........

help, I need more heeeeeeeeeeelp.
      Please bare over with me, I've only got like 4 months of linux experience

Jegeren

Comment

Firstly, whatever your problem is, you really shouldn't end up needing the XFree86 source code. Which is good, because it's a little bit tricky to compile.

Have you tried just running X after copying the drivers over? If X is set up right, it should just load the appropriate modules and work. Try running lsmod after you've started X up.

The agpgart or mga modules might have dependencies (although I'd be surprised). Try using modprobe agpgart and modprobe mga instead of insmod. (In fact, that's a good idea in general.) Note, the mga module does need agpgart to be loaded.

I don't know if you're able to build yourself a kernel, but if you can and decide you need to, you need to make sure you select the AGP driver for your motherboard chipset and the MGA DRI driver (I think they're both under the "character devices" menu).

If you really can't get these modules to load, then I'm afraid I can't think of much except maybe your motherboard chipset isn't supported.

I'm afraid it's time for me to get away from this computer and go to bed now... good luck...

Comment

Had any luck Jegeren?

Comment

Hi,
            I've been presenting my problem at www.matrox.com's forums as well, and a guy there asked me wether or not I've got a PCI card (he said that one can not enable DRI on PCI cards).
            I replied that I have got an AGP card, but it gave me an idea to check how Mandrake identifies my card.
            By the way as you said "mabye your motherboard chipset isn't supported" and you're right
            I checked out my hardware list in the Mandrake Control center, and it turned out that my card is identified as a PCI card even though it is an AGP card... Then I checked the status of the bridges on my Asus cuv4-x motherboard and I found out that my Via southbridge was defined as "unknown".
            I went right over to www.viatech.com and after some browsing I came over documentation on how to make my VT8605 southbridge work under Linux Mandrake 8.2.
            I've just downloaded this pdf and I'm reading it right now (that is, I'm acctually at work so I'm reading a bit, and working a bit and so on )
            I think I have to get my chipsets at my motherboard up and running first and mabye this sorts out the thing about DRI not being able to run.

Jegeren

Comment

While it is important to get the southbridge working (so you can have full-speed IDE, etc.), the AGP support issue is to do with the northbridge.

I've just looked in my kernel source (2.4.20), and the VIA 694x (that's your northbridge, isn't it?) is mentioned in the AGP code. So I'm guessing the support was either just added in 2.4.20, or Mandrake didn't compile the VIA support into their agpgart module (which would be strange, since they're such common chipsets). Either way, it means you'll need to compile a new kernel (or maybe upgrade your distro).

Edit: Just looked at a 2.4.19 sourcetree, and the 694x isn't mentioned. You need to upgrade to 2.4.20.
              Last edited by Ribbit; 22 January 2003, 06:04.

Comment

I think mabye you're right, when it comes to the support at www.viatech.com I'm kinda confused again. They don't acctually mention any chipset driver installation support except when it comes to integrated graphics cards, integrated audio, enable IR, integrated firewire etc... No topics conserning south or north bridge standalone installation...
                I found only one reference to my chipset ID, that is VT 8605 [pm133], and they refered to a integrated graphics controller installation. I downloaded this pdf "http://downloads.viaarena.com/LinuxApplicationNotes/VIA%20ML8.1%20Prosavage%20Display%20Driver%20Insta llation%20ver%200.9A.gz" but again I got confused 'cause it seems to me that I have to download some "s3" driver, and I thought S3 was a graphics chip manufacturer.......

Anyway this is way to much for me to handle during office hours + that I can't risk my machine to go down since I use it in my work (computer support)...
                I'm gonna have to spend an evening after office hours to try this out...
                In the meantime I'm gonna read through the pdf a cuple more times to se if it sinks in or I get some bright ideas...

I'll post this forum if there, no I mean WHEN there is any progress

Jegeren
                "may the penguin be with U"
                "I sence the penguin is strong in U"
                (eh, what ? I probably need a break )

Comment

Working...
                X