RP114 router broken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RP114 router broken?

I'm testing a Netgear RP114 for a friend, and I think it is broken, but I welcome any suggestions:

Basically whatever I do I have never seen the ACT light on the WAN port working. The LINK light does however. It has never gotten a WAN IP.

I know the settings for my ISP are correct as they are identical to those in my RT314. All cables are those used in the RT314, so I know they are good.

Any suggestions welcome!

TIA

Tony.
    FT.

not sure about that model,
    But try updateing the firmware and resetting to defaults then try configuring from there.

Comment

Who is your ISP Blueyonder or NTL?

If it's Blueyonder have you registered the routers MAC address?
      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Have you verified your modem is good?
        Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

Ta for the suggestions:

@Marshmallowman: the BIOS was the latest, but I did that anyway - no change.

@Taz: it's NTL. The router spoofs the mac of the PC's nic.

@DirtFarmer: Modem fine - I swapped the RP114 in the place normally occupied by my RT314.

Cheers

T.
          FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Andrews
            STB or Cable Modem?
            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

NTL can be a little reluctant at times to see a device with a new MAC address. Switch the modem off for a couple of minutes, switch it on and wait until you get the green lights, then switch on the router.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Andrews
                Ta for the suggestions:

@Marshmallowman: the BIOS was the latest, but I did that anyway - no change.

@DirtFarmer: Modem fine - I swapped the RP114 in the place normally occupied by my RT314.

Cheers

T.
                Try setting it up for a fixed IP, then connect your PC on the WAN port and try pinging it (make sure it accepts WAN requests).

If nothing happens (all setttings/cables being right) you can probably consider the port is dead and ask for an RMA number.

Comment

@taz - I'm using a CM
                  @Ant - we've already tried that.
                  @Kurt - I haven't tried that form of connection, but I'm fast becoming convinced the port is dead.

I have returned the router to him, but I'll get him to try that before RMAing.

Cheers guys.

T.
                  FT.

Comment

One way to check the port is to connect the WAN port of the RP114 to one of the LAN ports on your RT314, you'll probably have to change the local network range on the RP114 first. If it manages to get an IP form the RT314 the port is Ok, if not then it's dead

Comment

Working...
                    X