Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some "Field" settings advice in MS Pro, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some "Field" settings advice in MS Pro, please!

Okay, I've been successfully negociating this through trial and error since I'v been using MS Pro, but would like to finally understand it.

I am doing some editing now and here is how I'm doing it.

Capture using my g450etv with huffyuv codec.

Edit and create a huffyuv rendered file.

Compress to MPEG-2 using TMPGEnc.

I know that the fields are reversed when capturing with my g450etv so I have to enable "swap fields" for proper playback. Other wise I get the jumpy and distorted video indicative of improper field order.

If I have the video clips in MS Pro set to Field A and the fields option when creating the huffyuv file set to Field A the resulting video file created with TMPGEnc is out of order fields for the video, but my text is clear.

If I have the video clips in MS Pro set to Field B and the fields option when creating the huffyuv file set to Field B the resulting video file is field correct for the video but my text overlays are blurry, ie field reversed.

If I have the video clips in MS Pro set to Field B and the fields option when creating the huffyuv file set to Field A the video AND text appear clear. I'm running a second test to verify this now.

Note that I turn off "swap fields" in the huffyuv codec when compressing with TMPGEnc.

My questions:

1. Why do you have the options of either setting field order for individual clips and globally in the options menu when creating files? How are they supposed to be used.

2. Theoretically, with my setup and with what I am doing, what should the proper settings be?

Whew! This is complicated, thanks for anyone who wants to help me work this out.

-Mark
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

As far as I know their are no "standards" for labeling the fields.

Field order A/B, odd/even, upper/lower 0/1 are ones i see regularly. As far as I can tell one guy's A can be another guy's B.

Running short test clips thru the workflow seems to be the only reliable way I know of.

If someone's got an encyclopedia of software field order settings for various software and codecs I'll be sure to print it and save it for future reference!

Even specialized video analysis hardware can't agree, we've got video data acquisition boxes in the lab that if you feed the same video in and send them a start pulse the data is 8.8 millisecond misaligned because one box thinks "time-zero" starts on the next even feild after the start signal while the other waits for the next odd field. (The analysis is field based to trade spacial resolution for time resolution).

--wally.

Comment

I ran all 16 possible combinations. This is what worked:

Field A for clips on timeline, Field A in options on save. Swap huffyuv fields on on decompress.

Swap field off on decompress when compressing to MPEG-2 with TMPGenc.
      - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Working...
      X