No announcement yet.

MSPro7 vs. Vegas4 rendering speeds....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSPro7 vs. Vegas4 rendering speeds....

At least as many as I can test with the limited number of formats supported in the VV4 trial.....

Both using the same DV type2 source (VV4's default) and matching project settings. This source is 1 minute 8 seconds long.

Procedure:

To stress their rendering engines in the DV type2 export I added a brightness change of +20% for the length of the clip. The Windows Media Video export was done with NO effects to the dialup 56k profile.

MediaStudio Pro 7.0:

DV type2 + brightness: 37 seconds

Windows Media Video: 29 seconds

Vegas Video 4:

DV type2 + brightness: 2 minutes 11 seconds

Windows Media Video: 50 seconds

It appears that the Vegas Video 4 rendering engine is suffering from more than a bit of Premiere-itis

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 January 2003, 11:45.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

It's hardly news that Vegas has slow renders -- it's been a complaint about V3 since the beginning. No use of of the PIV extensions, and not much use of SMP either.

Still, I'm curious: what was the "video quality" set at in the Vegas render dialog?

Also, the read me for the beta -- not trial -- says that WMV 9 implementation is still in progress, so I wouldn't take that part of the test as the final word just yet.

Comment

The same as in MSPro 7: Good. This is the default setting for both programs.

The WMV export was to WMV8, not WMV9.

Both programs are certainly capable of WMV9 but I used WMV8 because it is more established.

I'm sorry, but I for one don't have the time to mess with programs this slow for real-world use.

I may generate one of my testfiles so it can be better compared to MSPro and Premiere, but don't hold your breath.

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 January 2003, 12:30.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Doc -

Perhaps one of our local VV gurus will generate your MS Pro/Premiere Test file for VV.

Now that would be interesting.
        - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Interesting and most likely embarrasing....for SF

I'll go ahead and give it a go.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
          X