Friends or not Friends ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friends or not Friends ???

Seems like I'm being slagged off for not going more than once a week. I've got other interests rather than drinking all the time and drinking would effect these. Plus when I go out a drink a lot which is also exspensive.
    Another friend slagged me off for living at home with my mother. This is a guy who pays ten pound a month morgage. I would need a 100% morgage and the last time I checked the most I could get is £46,000 which buys you f!ck all unless you want to spend thousands in repair or live in area where get you get full of bullet homes or beaten up or mugged daily. I gave him a right gob full.
    But I wonder are these friends or not.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

some people think they are so mature and independent that they can criticize others.
    I'll not count on them like friends but like a guy you can go out for drinking or someone who have a flat to make a private party.
    My philosophy is : if someone is not a good friend, just use him/her. At the end of the day you realize how many have used you so it's fair to pay back.
    <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="1" >epox 8RDA+ running an Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.7Ghz with 2x256mb Crucial PC2700, an Adaptec 1200A IDE-Raid with 2x WD 7200rpm 40Gb striped + a 120Gb and a 20Gb Seagate, 2x 17" LG Flatron 775FT, a Cordless Logitech Trackman wheel and a <b>banding enhanced</b> Matrox Parhelia 128 retail shining thru a Koolance PC601-Blue case window<br>and for God's sake pay my <a href="http://www.drslump.biz">site</a> a visit!</font>

Comment

TP, I left home at 16 (details not needed here), if my situation had been better, I would have preferred to stay there until I could have afforded a house.

I live in a country where people must stay living at home, unless they must move for work, until the day they are married for financial reasons. There is no shame in it, and I can promise you, he probably is a little jealous that you are still at home and not having to deal with all the BS that goes with owning/renting.

Bottom Line, enjoy it while you still can.

Dan
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Here in the US, as in various other countries, there is a sort of stigma associated with anyone (though mainly males) over the age of, say, 21 yrs. living at home with mom and/or dad.

While I do believe that someone of that age might be better off living on their own, to better determine who they are as a person with the parental influences, I don't think it should have the stigma it does. I think it really has to be looked at while taking into consideration the relationship the person has with the parent(s).

When I moved from Florida to here in Oklahoma, I lived with my father for a little over a year before moving out (with my then fiance, otherwise I might have stayed put for a bit more). My reasons were simple; to get to know my father (whom I'd had a rather interrupted relationship with during those 19 years), to help him out around the house, and to help establish myself without going broke on a $300 efficiency. My now wife (fiance then) and friends never had a problem with it, most of them even admitted to being slightly jealous.

So the point is, regardless, if your friends can't deal with or understand your situation then they're probably just "fair weather" friends anyhow. I'll agree with Dan here, "enjoy it while you still can".
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Your 'Friends' are being closed minded, but I can quote you an example people wouldn't want to repeat (I'm not suggesting you would):

A friend of mine is 35 and still lives at home with his father. Because he has never had a mortgage etc or had to pay much rent, you would think he would have some savings, but he has none. In fact, just the opposite. He spends it all, mainly on PCs, gadgets, car upgrades etc. This will create a problem when his father dies (I don't see the situation changing before then) because he also has two sisters, who will be entitled to their share of the house. Should they make him homeless and force him to sell? The revenue from 1/3 of the house would force him to move a long way to be able to buy something.

Hopefully of course that day will be a long long way away.

T.
          FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Andrews
            Your 'Friends' are being closed minded, but I can quote you an example people wouldn't want to repeat (I'm not suggesting you would):

A friend of mine is 35 and still lives at home with his father. Because he has never had a mortgage etc or had to pay much rent, you would think he would have some savings, but he has none. In fact, just the opposite. He spends it all, mainly on PCs, gadgets, car upgrades etc. This will create a problem when his father dies (I don't see the situation changing before then) because he also has two sisters, who will be entitled to their share of the house. Should they make him homeless and force him to sell? The revenue from 1/3 of the house would force him to move a long way to be able to buy something.

Hopefully of course that day will be a long long way away.

T.
            Sounds a fairly similar sit to mine. If I save the money to buy a house thats just pie in the sky. A house goes up in a month what I can save in the year. So it's target that I can't keep up with anyway. I do buy quite a bit of computing stuff during a year it's just a hobby. If I had a house I wouldn't be going out all as that would swallow any cash up.
            It's funny how friendships go years ago I had another group of friends that all used to meet in a pub and then I got slagged off if I didn't go round and talk to them all. Annoying when you were in interesting conversation with someone else.
            I've also like walking which means driving into the peak district and drinking the night before isn't a good idea but that doesn't seem to count as an excuse.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I do understand the problem with the mortgage thing. Our first flat was in SW London. I could never have afforded anything if it wasn't with my wife. A friend of mine solved the problem by advertising at work for a 'mortgage partner' which meant that together they could afford a nice 2-bed flat. Eventually she decided to leave and he bought her out (his wages had gone up and interest rates had come down).

House prices were the main reason we left London. My 4-bed house here cost 2/3 of the 2-bed we had before. Looking at current forecasts for the housing market I wouldn't buy right now anyway. Negative equity is on the increase.

T.
              FT.

Comment

House prices won't drop maybe slow a bit but people will just hold onto them and wait. Even renting is getting exspensive as landlords buy up spare property. Basically more and more people will be forced to stay at home and then get the problems later in life.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                X