IEXPLORER 200mb ram used !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IEXPLORER 200mb ram used !!

I noticed that sometimes IE 6 consumes up to 200mb of ram and utilizes 100% of the cpu.

While it eats up all my ram, the page file stays unchanged!!

I upgraded recently to winxp sp1.

Any ideas what could be the reason? I did not identify any specific circumstances this occurs.

IE explorer and Outlook are memory hungry programs but that looks a bit too much.

Did you install any plugin for IE?
    Does it happens when browsing pages with java applets?
    <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="1" >epox 8RDA+ running an Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.7Ghz with 2x256mb Crucial PC2700, an Adaptec 1200A IDE-Raid with 2x WD 7200rpm 40Gb striped + a 120Gb and a 20Gb Seagate, 2x 17" LG Flatron 775FT, a Cordless Logitech Trackman wheel and a <b>banding enhanced</b> Matrox Parhelia 128 retail shining thru a Koolance PC601-Blue case window<br>and for God's sake pay my <a href="http://www.drslump.biz">site</a> a visit!</font>

Comment

It was happening while browsing the murc

I did not install any plugins.

Comment

That's a huge problem. Not normal at all. IE is a hog, but it's a 25MB hog not a 100MB hog.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

maybe using the "performance monitor" (perfmon) can help you track the problem. Select the IE process and track its "private bytes" to see how it grows.
          <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="1" >epox 8RDA+ running an Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.7Ghz with 2x256mb Crucial PC2700, an Adaptec 1200A IDE-Raid with 2x WD 7200rpm 40Gb striped + a 120Gb and a 20Gb Seagate, 2x 17" LG Flatron 775FT, a Cordless Logitech Trackman wheel and a <b>banding enhanced</b> Matrox Parhelia 128 retail shining thru a Koolance PC601-Blue case window<br>and for God's sake pay my <a href="http://www.drslump.biz">site</a> a visit!</font>

Comment

I've had this problem and it was the ATI control panel. Uninstall that and the pc worked fine. Re-install and watch the programs fail to release the memory. Later drivers fixed it.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Hello Guys and thanks for your comments,

It seems the problem is not directly related to IE but to explorer.exe and my lan connection. Whenever I browse the lan after I am done the CPU utlization of explorer jumps to 100%. I think also that winxp sometimes tries to reconnect on disconnected machines and this again affects performance.

I believe MS aknowledged the bug and there is a hot fix planed.

Thanks again

Comment

I have the same problem, it's all those stupid updates for IE. I don't know which one it is but I know that the last 2 or 3 can cause that.
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Working...
                X