Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing PCI frequency?

Hi,

I've never been able to push the FSB above 147Mhz on my ECS K7S5A mobo. The CPU is water-cooled and is kept below 30c even at full load. The RAM is marked as 333mhz DDR (from crucial) so it should have some room for improvement.
    I guess the problem is with the PCI or AGP cards, is there any way to keep it's freq. at 33 while pushing the the FSB to 166mhz?

cheers, Ivan
    <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="1" >epox 8RDA+ running an Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.7Ghz with 2x256mb Crucial PC2700, an Adaptec 1200A IDE-Raid with 2x WD 7200rpm 40Gb striped + a 120Gb and a 20Gb Seagate, 2x 17" LG Flatron 775FT, a Cordless Logitech Trackman wheel and a <b>banding enhanced</b> Matrox Parhelia 128 retail shining thru a Koolance PC601-Blue case window<br>and for God's sake pay my <a href="http://www.drslump.biz">site</a> a visit!</font>

I just found that is not possible to boot at 166mhz with this mobo, so I need to change it once in windows. I'll try it tonight.
    <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="1" >epox 8RDA+ running an Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.7Ghz with 2x256mb Crucial PC2700, an Adaptec 1200A IDE-Raid with 2x WD 7200rpm 40Gb striped + a 120Gb and a 20Gb Seagate, 2x 17" LG Flatron 775FT, a Cordless Logitech Trackman wheel and a <b>banding enhanced</b> Matrox Parhelia 128 retail shining thru a Koolance PC601-Blue case window<br>and for God's sake pay my <a href="http://www.drslump.biz">site</a> a visit!</font>

Comment

I thought it had a 1/5 divider, but I'm not sure. Are you using the special OCers' BIOS?
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

yes, I'm using the last Cheepo bios.
        The official one will not allow to go further than 133mhz

I check changing the FSB with SpeedFan but I didn't manage to raise it more than 147mhz. I guess I'll need to raise the voltage of the CPU.

Comment

Re: changing PCI frequency?

Originally posted by drslump
          I guess the problem is with the PCI or AGP cards, is there any way to keep it's freq. at 33 while pushing the the FSB to 166mhz?
          Buy yourself an nForce 2 card. The Epox card has PCI bus locked and AGP bus adjustable between 50..100Mhz.

I'm still waiting for mine, should arrive in about 30min
          My system:
          | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage
          homemade watercooling in use,Pics on the homepage...

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

you mean nforce2 board?

Just got an a7n8x deluxe myself.
            :-)

Comment

@lindberg:

I think I'll keep my good old ECS K7S5A

I knew that the time where I'll demand more power and I won't be able to go any further overclocking had to arrive. When I feel in the need for extra processing power I'll just upgrade the rig.
              I'll check that nforce2 chip-set but being as happy as I'm with my current one, I guess my next mobo will have a SIS chip-set

cheers for the tip

Comment

Yes, currently NForce2 is the way to go when using AMD CPUs. While you probably won't see much improvement against the KT333/400 chips when only testing the max. throughput (like Sandra does), the lower latency does surely speed up many memory intensive things like DivX'ing, mpeg2 / mp3 encoding, rendering and last not least CPU intensive game-titles.

I recently got my EPoX 8RDA+ NForce2 board and this little beast got me an extra of more than 1000 points in 3DMark2001SE compared to my old and already fast KT333 board: 15768 before, now 17046
                (you can think what you want of 3DMark, but it is a good memory/mainboard performance benchmark - just like the good old Quake3).
                Last edited by Indiana; 21 January 2003, 15:28.
                But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                My System
                2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                German ATI-forum

Comment

nforce 2 is broken in linux, when nv fix their drivers I will consider one until then I will wait for 746fx board.

An alternative to the cheepo bios is the honey-x bios
                  all bioses are here

the honey-x seems more stable than cheepoman, and it has all the same options(and a couple extra)

one thing about the k7s5a board is the chipset cooler, the double sided tape they use insulates more than it transfers heat, it is a good idea to rip off and remove the tape and replace it with proper thermal adhesive or use thermal grease and a dot of superglue on 2 corners....or get a better cooler . I am using a spare socket 7 cooler and fan.

Comment

Working...
                  X