No announcement yet.

A few questions before going broadband.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions before going broadband.

So I'm getting a broadband: 1024/512 ADSL, with free static IP (disabled by default for security reasons), no sharing and download/upload limit for 26Euros (student discount).

First my wiring plan I'd like to hear some comments:

At first there will be only one workstation so it will look like this.

HALL:
    [ISDN/ADSL splitter]---MODEM---[optional short male-female X-over adapter]

|Long tucked away CAT5 cable|

MY ROOM:
    3COM 10Mbps NIC (I have one laying around and modem won't max it)
    Workstation

Possible upgrade:

HALL:
    [ISDN/ADSL splitter]---MODEM---[optional short male-female X-over adapter]

|Long tucked away CAT5 cable ->my room|
    |Long tucked away CAT5 cable ->my room|
    connected through female-female X-over adapter in the hall to
    |Long tucked away CAT5 cable ->my brother's room|

MY ROOM:
    3COM 10Mbps NIC (I have one laying around and modem won't max it)
    another NIC 100Mbps NIC that connects to my bro's machine
    Workstation

MY BROTHER'S ROOM:
    NIC
    Workstation

and finally:

HALL:
    [ISDN/ADSL splitter]---MODEM---[optional short male-female X-over adapter]--->
    --->[ROUTER hardware or software]---[Switch]--->
    --->[Fileserver, FAX, DHCP, DNS, print]--fax/--shared printer
    --->[Webserver]

|Long tucked away CAT5 cable -> room|

ROOM:
    NIC 100Mbps
    Workstation

Now for security questions:
    At first I'll have only 1 Workstation which will be online for good part of the day (fans bother me when I sleep) which will directly connect to modem running NT4.0/98SE to be replaced by Win2k on next reinstall.

I should seal all accounts (disable Guest and User and protect Administrator account with strong passwords.)
    Untill I implement a router I'll not opt for static IP.

Now what about firewall (preferably something free that can run on Windows)
    Is there anything else?

Well, the modem may or may not have a built-in router/firewall.

ASSUMING IT DOESN'T:

My choice for firewall now is Zone Alarm Pro. You can (finally) disable all the stupid fricking "hey, application X is accessing the internet! Is this ok? (No/No/HELL NO/Yes, but bother me again later)" crap.

Black Ice is better, but sometimes glitches up for no reason, bumping it to second place.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Your connection is so damn cheap !!!
      I'm paying 43 euros/month for a crappy 256/128 ADSL. With an USB modem and not being able to get more than 5kb/s at rush hours

Is it easy to find a job and a flat in slovenia? I might move in
      <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="1" >epox 8RDA+ running an Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.7Ghz with 2x256mb Crucial PC2700, an Adaptec 1200A IDE-Raid with 2x WD 7200rpm 40Gb striped + a 120Gb and a 20Gb Seagate, 2x 17" LG Flatron 775FT, a Cordless Logitech Trackman wheel and a <b>banding enhanced</b> Matrox Parhelia 128 retail shining thru a Koolance PC601-Blue case window<br>and for God's sake pay my <a href="http://www.drslump.biz">site</a> a visit!</font>

Comment

maybe you could try the sygate personal firewall. there is a free version, and you can define (a feature zonealarm lacks) your own firewalling rules (in addition to the application-based rules).

despite that - good connection.

mfg
        wulfman

PS.: I got 512/64 with 4gb download/month & only port 80 & 22 open for the same prize.
        Last edited by Wulfman; 18 January 2003, 03:15.
        "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
        "Lobsters?"
        "Really? I didn't know they did that."
        "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
          Well, the modem may or may not have a built-in router/firewall.

ASSUMING IT DOESN'T:

My choice for firewall now is Zone Alarm Pro. You can (finally) disable all the stupid fricking "hey, application X is accessing the internet! Is this ok? (No/No/HELL NO/Yes, but bother me again later)" crap.

Black Ice is better, but sometimes glitches up for no reason, bumping it to second place.

- Gurm
          That feature you "hate" (i don't think the word is strong enough to describe it ) Saved my skin when I got a IRC worm that nav diden't spot..... ;-)
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Zonealarm = crap.
            I've seen many a network or modem setup thrashed by this software. If you use it don't be surprised if you're suddenly cut off for no reason. Also uninstalling it doesn't always work as sometimes the uninstall program only removes the crappy software from your start menu and systray and leaves it running in the background. This catches the novice out.
            Also earlier versions of zonealarm tended to crash the pc dunno if they improved this or not.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

ZoneAlarm is not the best firewall out there but it have some good points.
              Even if you are not an advanced user you can be able to keep your computer more or less protected and the lite version is free.

btw you can use the Windows built-in firewall but I found it difficult and featureless.
              <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="1" >epox 8RDA+ running an Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.7Ghz with 2x256mb Crucial PC2700, an Adaptec 1200A IDE-Raid with 2x WD 7200rpm 40Gb striped + a 120Gb and a 20Gb Seagate, 2x 17" LG Flatron 775FT, a Cordless Logitech Trackman wheel and a <b>banding enhanced</b> Matrox Parhelia 128 retail shining thru a Koolance PC601-Blue case window<br>and for God's sake pay my <a href="http://www.drslump.biz">site</a> a visit!</font>

Comment

Originally posted by drslump
                Is it easy to find a job and a flat in slovenia? I might move in
                After our TV started broadcasting southamerican "telenovelas" more and more people learn spanish.

Job would be easy, 1-room appartment downtown would run you 300-400€/month.

Comment

Well, that "feature" is annoying. I do NOT want some third-party POS program checking up on things EVERY TIME A PROGRAM HITS THE INTERNET.

Do you have ANY idea how much traffic I generate in a day? And how much it slows down your machine to have all that traffic checked?

And how did you GET a worm on your machine in the first place? I don't give a rat's ass if something opens a connection. *shrug*

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                  X