A Few ISDN Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Few ISDN Questions

I'm getting ADSL and here you have to take ISDN as well. (The Telecom says it's a "technical" prerequisite.)

First on ISDN modems. (Time to retire my trusty US Robotics ISA V90 hardware modem.)

If I understand correctly, ISDN modems are in fact not modems (as in modulator/demodulator) since signal goes digitally all the way and there's no analogue-digital conversions but ISDN signal adapters.

Does hardware/software modem question come in to play here as well?

What's the difference between models (prices range from 50 to 80 Euros/$)?
    For instance:

Cheap:
    Eicon Diva USB
    Asus ISDN PCI

Expensive:
    Eicon Diva 850 (serial and USB)
    Eicon Diva 852 (serial and USB)
    Stollman TA PP+ (serial)
    US Robotics Pro TA

The point of ISDN modem is backup internet connection to another ISP in case of emergency (ADSL fallout) (my current free rate/per minute dialup account) and Fax/answering machine with RVSCOM. It's a software that costs 10 Euros, works with Windows and enables you to send, receive and if desired print or save to tiff and open in OCR Software faxes and save unanswered calls to disk.

I might also set up a RAS server.

Secondly on ISDN phones/terminals

I know that there are different ISDN standards (IIRC UK has 56kbps ISDN while Germany has 64kbps), but I know our standard is the same as in Germany.

I've opted for cheapest bundled phone at first to cut down initial cost, but I might add a few phones later.

What are the prices of ISDN phones in Germany?

No the standard for ISDN in the uk is 64k and is for everywhere and the you have then dual isdn which runs at 128k if your service provider supports it.
    Last edited by 3dfx; 19 January 2003, 04:55.

Comment

I'd like to hear some modems and phones suggestions.

Comment

avm fritz modems are ok

Comment

In the UK there are two types of ISDN service, Basic rate ISDN, more commonly known as ISDN 2(e) and Primary rate ISDN, also known as ISDN 30, the former is for home use.

Basic rate ISDN consists of two 64k B channels and one D channel, the B channels can either be used independantly i.e. you can make calls to two different locations, or together to form one 128k channel, assuming the location your connecting two supports it.

AFAIK ISDN in the US uses 56k B channels.
          When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Hi there Utwig!

I would go for that ASUS ISDN PCI card... It works flawlessly and suits your needs just fine...

Usually, price differences between models are based on additional functions each TA offers... For example, the cheapest ISDN TA you can get has only one UTP socket so you can connect it to the ISDN NT, that you will (most likely) be provided by your telephone company.. Next step are TA's that offer the possibility to connect analogue equipment to the TA via telephone socket on the card or the box, if the TA is external... Thirdly, you have TA/NT equipment that can be used without telephone company equipment, and those have sockests for loads of stuff, and also plug directly to the wall socket making them a fully functional NT... Don't know if I'm helping you, or if this is making any sense to you, but seeing your needs, I can recommend the cheapest solution there is, because it has everything you could possibly need...

I'd check with your telephone company to see if they are providing you with a NT. If they're not, you should find a nice NT that hooks up via USB to your PC and you're all set to go...

EDIT:
            Phones: Just get yourself a nice Siemens Gigaset Comfort DECT... Works like a charm.
            You could also get just the Gigaset Comfort handset, and separately buy a Gigaset ISDN NT/DECT base... It has USB connections, and also functions as a base for your phone... There. Hope I've helped.
            Last edited by Goc; 19 January 2003, 09:59.

Comment

96€ / 21.500 SIT ISDN (NT + phone - cheapest Eurit 35) - It's the broadband I need but like I said ISDN is prerequisite - 10 monthly payments of 2.150SIT/ 9,60€

130€ / 30.000 SIT ADSL (Modem + cabling from NT-MODEM-NIC)

26€ / 5.900 SIT / month ADSL (student base package rate 1024/256/static IP/mail/10MB webspace/no limits)

15.60€ / 3.600 month ISDN (2 numbers, all teh basic ISDN whizbang)

As you can see upfront costs are pretty high so I opted for cheapo phone at first.

What I'm wondering is that I could latter get Siemens Gigaset or something else cheaper in Germany and of course collect Melversteuer (tax return).

How much are phones there?

Comment

this once again reminds me how shitty are prices in poland (monopoly):
                ~130€ for Ericsson HiS terminal (115kb/s; 70 kb/s when somebody uses phone)
                ~30€ per month for above

Comment

Don't know how much it is priced in Germany, but if you pop over to this side of the border you can get the handset for about 100€... Maybe even a bit cheaper... Don't know about mehrwehrsteuer, though...
                  I could search some more on the prices for this kind of equipment in Croatia if you're interested. You can really get a jawdropping deal here if you know the right people...

Comment

ISDN Card: AVM Fritz PCI or DIGI DataFire Micro V
                    Phone: Siemens Gigaset

ISDN is not a prerequisite for ADSL though. It's just to trick you into spending more money. They do the same here.
                    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Friend of mine has ADSL on an analogue tel. line, so, yes, it is a hoax... It's 512/64 kbps though, but I don't think it matters anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Goc
                        Friend of mine has ADSL on an analogue tel. line, so, yes, it is a hoax... It's 512/64 kbps though, but I don't think it matters anyway...
                        Works like a breeze either on PSTN or ISDN @3360/128. They used to say it didn't work on ISDN which was true, but two years ago. Always worked on PSTN

If you want some modems, I'm receiving a batch of Asus USB ADSL modem for 30 EUR + shipping (even preferred post shouldn't cost much).

Comment

HiS is a little strange with that (anologue/digital)

basically i still use my old anologue telephone, but the voice comes thru terminal (convertion to digital), and on the line it's transmitted like data (that's why speed drops to 70 kb/s when you're talking). Anyway from the technical side it's very similar to xDSL.

and Goc: that's not a option for me. the terminal is still proporty of telecom (i'm just using it). but still i had to pay for renting and connecting ~130€ and monthly ~30€. And that's just for 115 kb/s

Comment

Working...
                          X