Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wonder how this would go in a camcorder??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder how this would go in a camcorder??

Credit Card-Size Hard Drive Can Hold 5GB
    Cheap, thin, flexible StorCard expected to become available this year.

MPEG2 capture??
    paulw

I can see it doing very low bandwidth streaming but that's about it. Best suited for still captures inho
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Reliablility shall be a big question mark....
      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

5GB is only ~39 minutes of DV, but would be considerably more in an MPEG-2 camcorder. One more generation though and it could well store >1 hour of video, about what a DV tape does using SP.

With that out of the way the only other consideration would be cost, and I doubt that one of those minidrives could be had for $8 USD as a 60 minute DV tape can.

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Fry's has Fuji 60 minute miniDV tape on sale this weekend $2.99, limit five.

--wally.

Comment

Excellent points, all.

I'll through out some food for thought, however:

Assuming size and price come down, having a one for one replacement (hard drive for tape) would have an advantage:
            random access to the movie clips,
            possibility of a reader built on the computer, rather than a deck to disk capture.

This would eliminate the one thing that at first surprised me about the DV standard: it still uses a serial access method and requires a streaming capture to the HD. When I realized you could still get dropped frames (i.e. there was no way to detect and then "fill in" the dropped frames) when capturing DV I was a bit perplexed. I would have thought that would be the first thing chaned when converting to a digital storage format.

Just an idea...
            CEM
            System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

Dropped frames with DV? I haven't seen that on any of my systems... and I've got one system here that really asks for trouble:

PIII-1gig on a gigabyte VIA
              512k RAM
              WinME or Win2kPro
              Siig IEEE-1394
              Sony TRV-900
              MSP6.5
              Turtle Beach sound card
              Modem
              Ultra-66 IDE
              Voodoo 3dfx vid

Jeff B

Comment

Originally posted by jeff b
                Dropped frames with DV? I haven't seen that on any of my systems... and I've got one system here that really asks for trouble:

PIII-1gig on a gigabyte VIA
                512k RAM
                WinME or Win2kPro
                Siig IEEE-1394
                Sony TRV-900
                MSP6.5
                Turtle Beach sound card
                Modem
                Ultra-66 IDE
                Voodoo 3dfx vid

Jeff B
                I'll ask this: what drive are you capturing to?

If it is anything 7000RPM or a 5400RPM of the more recent vintages, you won't likely see dropped frames.

If you are capturing to a legacy drive, where the 5 or so MB/s that the DV standard requires, you would see dropped frames.

Cheers,
                CEM
                System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

Never seen a dropped frame on DV, except when converting from really atrocious analogue. Surely, that was because the converter hiccupped, not because the drive couldn't cope. I have a RAID array with 2 x 60 Gb, a 30 Gb UDMA and a prehistoric 10 Gb DMA drive on my video computer. I can capture DV to the last one without dropped frames. In the days of using a Marvel, only the RAID array was drop-free, although the 30 Gb disk was 99% OK, averaging perhaps 1 drop every 5 minutes or so on a reformatted partition. The 10 Gb averaged 1 drop every second, I think!

Getting back to the original subject. I'm not a great believer in disk drives in a camera. I don't believe that a disk can stand the movements implied, especially as it isn't a hard disk, but on a Mylar substrate. Prestressed Mylar is one of the more stable polyester polymers, but it has a higher coefficient of thermal expansion than metals. Worse, the X-axis and Y-axis expansions are different so that, if it became hot (or cold), it would tend to become oval, rather than round. I've used a lot of large thick (0.18 and 0.25 mm) Mylar based process films for precision chemical milling and, even in a closely air-conned environment, stability was a problem with large, critical, parts. In some cases, we had to resort to 5 mm thick optical glass plates (guess how much they cost? - and woe betide he who broke one!). If you pack 5 Gb on a disk going into a credit card, you are well into the sub-micrometre range of precision. I can hardly believe that this would be viably reliable under the conditions that a camcorder is used under.

I have not mentioned the hygroscopicity of mylar, as I assume the unit will be hermetically sealed with a dry, inert gas filling. If there were the slightest leak allowing humid air to enter during temperature cycling, then you would be in VERY DEEP trouble
                  Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
                  X