Troops with "X-ray vision".....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troops with "X-ray vision".....

MSNBC breaking news and the latest news for today. Get daily news from local news reporters and world news updates with live audio & video from our team.

A small group of Army Rangers—the elite unit of ground troops—were testing out the beta version of a “see through walls” (STW) sensor at Eiler Hall, an old maintenance facility converted into a training site. One soldier pointed the sensor, housed inside a big, bright-orange suitcase, directly at the target: a windowless building that might contain the enemy. Several yards behind him, another took a reading off a laptop.

On the screen: a simple graph charting time and distance. A single red dot moved down the grid. Movement behind the wall!"

Up until now, the only way to see through the wall was to blow a hole in it and stick your head in,” says Maj. Bill Kembley, our tour guide for the training exercise.
    It will be at least a couple years before the Army actually uses this STW technology, and by then it will look a lot different. The sensor, for instance will be the size of a Palm Pilot, not a 14-pound suitcase. And it won’t be orange.
    Sheeshhhh......and by then it will have an image instead of a dot; probably in technicolor

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 January 2003, 19:34.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

It's still cheaper just to waste a TOW missile and find out if anyone is in there...

Comment

Such a pity that "Headcasting" never became big.................oh wait, maybe it now will!
      Lawrence

Comment

and the movement was the cat.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I believe the amplitude of the signal would differentiate between a human and a cat

BUT....what happens if someone has a freakin' Marmaduke clone like our dog Spike? Damned dog is bigger than half the human race

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Combination sensing. One of the places I used to work at was working on applications of this - like an Ultrasound that could show you your baby in full color, 3D, realtime.

Or ground penetrating radar that could find land mines from a moving helicopter.

Or... sensors that could let you (sort of) see through walls.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
            X