X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UT2003 Server Related - Please read & respond

A PM I received from a responsible MURCer:
    Hi SitFlyer,
    I've got some friends on another forum -- a mappers forum that want to get together some time to play. Would you have any objections to using your new server? If you would rather not, no problem, they can find someplace else. If you don't mind though, I'll give them your address and password. Just let me know.
    Thanks,
    My Response was:

The server was set up for MURCers. I checked the server log for the last 2 nights and the game was actually full at points. If a lot of non MURC start playing on here we might not be able to connect to the darn thing.
    I'll post this in the gaming forum and we'll see what the members want. Hows that?

So it's up to all of you.

One possibility would be to change (or remove) the PW for when you want to allow others on, and have another PW (or PW enabled) for the times you want only MURCers on it (like for planned matches).

Bottom line is that it's your server (and we appreciate that you have made it available to us), and you are entitled to do whatever you want with it.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I agree with Kruzin.

One other thing, this person mentions that his friends are from a mappers' forum. He isn't wanting to put their custom maps on the server for when they play, is he? If he is, this could cause problems for many MURCers here whether or not the server's full of other people when they want to play. A few custom maps aren't a bad thing, so long as they are easily available and known ahead of time, but a lot can become a pain. (Ask Oboy)
      "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
      Gainward Ti4600
      AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Still thinking..........

I haven't made a decision.
        Also, I think of this thing more like, it's 'our server'. That's why I threw out the question and that's also why I gave Oboy the ability to change game settings.
        I don't have to ask Oboy about managing a gazillion maps. I know exactly how that is.

Need more input.

Comment

Hi,

I never play UT2k3 so I haven't bought the game. However I'll love to play with you sometime, is there any chance to play with a "copy" version of the game?

cheers, Ivan
          <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="1" >epox 8RDA+ running an Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.7Ghz with 2x256mb Crucial PC2700, an Adaptec 1200A IDE-Raid with 2x WD 7200rpm 40Gb striped + a 120Gb and a 20Gb Seagate, 2x 17" LG Flatron 775FT, a Cordless Logitech Trackman wheel and a <b>banding enhanced</b> Matrox Parhelia 128 retail shining thru a Koolance PC601-Blue case window<br>and for God's sake pay my <a href="http://www.drslump.biz">site</a> a visit!</font>

Comment

I wasn't referring to managing the maps, SitFlyer. I'm sure you're perfectly aware of how to do that. I was talking about dial-up users having to download any custom maps that they don't have. This has kept Oboy from joining me on some servers online in the past (which is what I meant when I said to ask Oboy- nothing to do with admin on the server ).

Anyhow, I have broadband, so it won't affect me much. I'm more concerned about the dial-ups going elsewhere rather than wait too long for a bunch of stuff to be downloaded.

System specs:
            Gainward Ti4600

Comment

Doh!

Comment

I just checked your maps list from the other thread, most of those are already have (Good maps) I'll check back later to see when everyones going to play.

Comment

Since Oboy only has dial up (I didnt know), I've temporarily removed the maps I uploaded last night.
                  I will put them back later.
                  Are there any other MURCers with this problem? If you live in North America, PM me an address and I'll send you a CD
                  Last edited by SitFlyer; 18 January 2003, 04:08.

Comment

Playing online is almost non-existant for me, but even on a LAN it's annoying to download maps, mods, skins et al.

Just a personal opinion, that *if* I was playing, I'd give up before downloading endless new maps. Maybe UT2 is better, but in UT it was annoying (as I recall), because you only knew how big the current download was, not the total of all downloads.

P.
                    Meet Jasmine.
                    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Just won three rounds in a row. Need better opponents. I'll try again later. Thanks, Sitflyer. BEWARE MY ROCKET LAUNCHER!

Correction:
                      It needs human players! WHen's everyone playing?
                      Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 20 January 2003, 12:33.

Comment

You musta been playin dem bots dat just stan der like der feet ar glued down.

Comment

The difficulty was upped and later I was getting my butt whooped and enjoying it. Then came Beezer. He made me suffer.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your suffering. I tried to make your deaths quick and painless.
                            My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

It's that aim thing you keep telling me about Beezer. Once you get headshots down, your prey won't have the chance to run away wounded until you catch up.

System specs:
                              Gainward Ti4600

Comment

Working...
                              X