Show a little respect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show a little respect

A friend of mines wife is a school teacher. Recently she took her class to a Mosque to help the Christian children of the class get a little understanding. The return was of course to a church. One Muslim girl took great offense to this and kept on grumbling.
    The girl was finally taken aside and told bluntly "We went and showed respect to your religon and you are going to show respect to ours".
    Totally politically incorrect of course and no doubt sackable offense but she did the right thing.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Yeah, everyone wants others to understand them but often do not feel they need to extend/return the favor. This applies to race, culture, religion, social class, and probably most other aspects of life.

Not to single anyone out or to appear racist, but I've always been fond of this little semi-fact:

Watch a "black" comedy show and listen to how many white or other non-black (orientals are another favorite) jokes there are. Watch a "white" comedy show and listen to how many black or non-white jokes there are. I can almost guarantee the amount on the latter will close to nill (if not nill). I black person making a white joke is funny, while the opposite is racism.

While this has more to do with social climate than what PIT has brought up, it still provides another example of something similiar. I've always felt that if someone takes the time to learn more about me, then I should take the time to respect them by learning more about them in turn.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

One of my favorite comedies was Oh Good Gracious me and it was done by asians and it took the piss. They did one Micheal Jackson song Blame it on the Boogie. The chorus went alternatively like Don't blame on the sunshine don't blame it on moonlight blame it on the Hindus then the next chorus would be Blame it on the Muslims.
      Of course some of the thicker pc crowd sad it was racist. I presume they thought it was nasty little whites with make up on.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Re: Show a little respect

Originally posted by The PIT
        A friend of mines wife is a school teacher. Recently she took her class to a Mosque to help the Christian children of the class get a little understanding. The return was of course to a church. One Muslim girl took great offense to this and kept on grumbling.
        The girl was finally taken aside and told bluntly "We went and showed respect to your religon and you are going to show respect to ours".
        Totally politically incorrect of course and no doubt sackable offense but she did the right thing.
        And whose f***ing country IS it anyway? Put her on the next boat out!

Comment

Re: Re: Show a little respect

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
          And whose f***ing country IS it anyway? Put her on the next boat out!
          Yes we're always getting you don't understand our culture you don't respect it.

Well your culture must suck otherwise you wouldn't have wanted to leave it in the first place. Now some would have wanted to see other parts of the world true and they probably don't moan.
          If I went to another country and hated it I would leave or leave as soon as I can afford it.

If it sucks why do you try to change our culture to yours.

Plus it's very hard to understand a culture when you're blocked out and as for respect it goes both ways. There question about understanding would be answered by another question. Do you care or understand about ours?
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

They aren't here because they like our culture.. they are here because they know us folks will not have children because we prefer to buy stuff and more stuff and western women are selfish and spoiled and don't want to grow up and be mothers and western men are all cowed by their selfish spoiled women and don't want to grow up and be fathers either. So we will all die out and guess who will be there to replace us?

Comment

Yeah, and the new topic is men. Reader's Digest - and they are NOT a paragon of hotbed activism, lemme tell ya - had a great editorial about it this month... how it's ok for women to demean men, how every other commercial on TV portrays men as stupid, fat, lazy, oafish, retarded...

But you make one little wisecrack about women, and you have a lawsuit on your hands.

I think I've told the story here before about the "Black Senior Yearbook" at Northeastern.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Of course,
                WHite men are pieces of trash because so many have persecuted other races religions. Why we should all go to hell. I love getting insulted by my cousin. I make a comment about a specific woman and always get retorted with a "men are this" comment. Wonderful! Fricking great. Maybe we should all drink the funky koolaid and put ourselves out of their misery. Waaah waaaah. You were wronged. Yes it was horrendous. No we cannot understand. We are not being discriminated against at least not in the same way. Stop being such a bunch of winey pricks and get over it.

{Calms down.}

Edit:
                Sorry. Read the Waste of Atomic Mass thread too. This hypocritical bullshit pisses me off to no end.
                Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 17 January 2003, 05:29.

Comment

Feminists are traitors, it's really just that simple..

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
                    ... Waaah waaaah. You were wronged. Yes it was horrendous. No we cannot understand. We are not being discriminated against at least not in the same way. Stop being such a bunch of winey pricks and get over it....
                    Were you intending to be ironic, or was it an accident?
                    chuck
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

He was being ironic?

- GUrm
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
                        Were you intending to be ironic, or was it an accident?
                        chuck
                        I did not mean to be ironic in the quoted part. Before the quoted part I meant to be sarcastic. I meant not to offend anyone that truly has a reason to hate a white male. I know plenty that are ****oles and that deserve to be insulted as well as some of other races and skin colors. I get extremely pissed off at generalizations. I could have been more tactful, but chose not to be as my point would have been very dull. If you have a valid complaint I understand. Just stop trying to bring down people who are not part of the problem as well. I've known Jews, Muslims, a rainbow of Christians, Hispanics, Asians (Japaness, Chinese, Taiwanese) Italians, African Americans, people from England, France, Germany, Saudi Arabia, India, etc . . . These are wonderful people. Just please for god's/allah's sake stop the fricking generalizations against myself or anyone else. I've even gotten pissed at my own grandmother and father for making a point of saying that it was "a black" person who did something that was on the news. Does it matter? Only in hate crimes does someone's race matter.

High_Jumbllama a very tolerating 1/2 Polish, 1/4 German, 1/4 Irish White male Atheist though born Lutheran

P.S. Quite the mutt ain't I?

P.S.2. Gurm, In part I was being sarcastic not ironic.

Comment

It's funny how people make generalisations.

If you say immigrant people think non white.
                          Funny I thought immigrants were all colours.

If you criticise one most people reading the post think your criticising the whole lot.

No I'll critisicise the ones who are breaking the law and have no intention of fitting in with our society be it for political reasons or just that they crimminals at heart.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

PIT,

Actually we've improved. In the early part of this century, if you said "those damn immigrants" people would automatically assume you meant the Irish, Italian, or *gasp* Spaniards!

Now, they just assume you mean illiterate migrant workers from Mexico or escapees from Cuba.

- Gurm

Comment

Though, there are some who think of blacks as immigrants here.

I truley do think things ar much better here.
                              I am old enough and southern enough to remember black & white drinking fountains and bathrooms.

chuck
                              Chuck
                              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                              X