Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The real reason that the Pentium 4 underperforms!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The real reason that the Pentium 4 underperforms!

The picture says it all
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

LOL

Comment

The original Pentium was a good chip (and the only true superscalar CISC ever made, AFAIK). If you could somehow crank it up to P4 clock speeds, I reckon its performance would be quite close to the actual P4.
      Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbit
        ...and the only true superscalar CISC ever made, AFAIK...
        You're forgetting Motorolas 68060 here, it seems. This was a CISC with many RISC attributes like superscalar as well and gave about Pentium90 performance at 50MHz.
        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
        My System
        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
        German ATI-forum

Comment

Why ever did they stop that good ol' 68k line of processors?
          Umf
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Hehe, I like the stylish reset button they have on their site!

Titanium is the new bling!
            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Zokes, is this an association game thread also? I don;t get it...:?:
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend
                Zokes, is this an association game thread also? I don;t get it...:?:
                The reset button says "CTRL-ALT-DEL" which I find funny, that's all.

Oh and it comes fromt he same site as Technoid's pic. So techincally in still in contexte!
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana
                  You're forgetting Motorolas 68060 here, it seems. This was a CISC with many RISC attributes like superscalar as well and gave about Pentium90 performance at 50MHz.
                  I don't know much about the '060. I do remember reading a quote (which I'm never going to find now) from a Motorola engineer when the '060 and Pentium were still in development, where he basically said "The 68060 is going to be good, but the 586 [as it was still called] is going to be much faster than it anyway". So your P90/060-50 comparison surprises me. I'll have to go find some benchmarks.

Umf, they still make the m68K (in a way) - they're optimised for embedded systems now and they're called 'ColdFire'.

Comment

Yeah, I used an M68HC11 for my embedded control class. It was fun, except when I had to wrestle with the horrible C compiler.
                    P=I^2*R
                    Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

IBM Thinkpad T22|900Mhz|256MB|32GB|14.1TFT|Gentoo

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbit
                      The original Pentium was a good chip (and the only true superscalar CISC ever made, AFAIK). If you could somehow crank it up to P4 clock speeds, I reckon its performance would be quite close to the actual P4.
                      Pentium 1 would likely kill a P4 clock for clock with a few minor tweaks.

Comment

The M68HC11 is different from the the M68K (i.e. 680x0)...

Let's see... Take a Pentium running at 3GHz. Now a Pentium Pro at 180MHz is supposedly twice as fast as a Pentium at 150MHz (according to Intel at the time of PPro's release), so a 3GHz Pentium can be assumed to be as fast as a PPro 1.8GHz. Now the PPro and PIII cores are the same, so let's assume that our fictional 3GHz Pentium is as fast as a (equally fictional) 1.8GHz PIII. The PIII is about as fast as the Athlon clock-for-clock, so that's an Athlon 1.8Ghz. The Athlon at 1.8GHz has a PR of what, 2200+? So assuming AMD's ratings are accurate (we've made a lot of assumptions, one more won't hurt), a 3GHz Pentium would be about as fast as a 2.2GHz P4, other things being equal. Not too shabby, if you ask me.

Comment

I stand corrected.
                          P=I^2*R
                          Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

IBM Thinkpad T22|900Mhz|256MB|32GB|14.1TFT|Gentoo

Comment

I think with a few minor changes such as 512kb on die cache the Pentium would score a little better then that.
                            Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

just check the ICP and count ;-)
                              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                              X