Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Norton Ghost explorer driving me crazy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norton Ghost explorer driving me crazy...

Got a new board last night, so I backed up what was on my old RAID array onto my new 200G HDD using Ghost. I didn't compress, and it spanned across 41 files. When I use ghost explorer to view the ".gho" file, it then prompts me and asks me "please select the file for the last segment in this image file". So naturally, I pick the latest-numbered .ghs file (which happens to be 40). Then it pops right back. No matter what I pick, even if i go through and pick every file, it keeps popping back at me.

If I hit "cancel", it will go away, and attempt to render what was on that disk (which was partitioned 3 ways). It will show me contents of some of the drives correctly, but I'm missing complete huge folders, and what appears as another partition in some cases is SUPPOSED to be just the contents of a folder in another partition. I checked symantec's site, and no luck. I'm using Ghost 7 (2002). HELP!

Dunno mate I've never had a problem like that but then I don't use raid so I don't know if it's related to that.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

It could POSSIBLY be related to RAID, but I have backed up images of partitions before and it worked well. This time I just backed up the entire drive...

Comment

Are you sure you're not the grim reaper of the pcworld?
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

:-P
          Hey, it's not dead (yet). Nah, i just seem to come across the most random software bugs. Crap like this.

Comment

No chance of using Ghost to just do a plain disk clone in DOS by getting the Raid going for only a short while again ? (PCI card?).......I have on a few occasions now been able to transfer the entire Raid disk "as is" onto a new mobo if you are very careful about noting/transferring the original Raid disk settings.

Running on 6.5 here and has also never bumped into this sort of hassle.
            Lawrence

Comment

Why was the ghost imagine split up in 41 files if you saved it to a 20G HDD? I always have saved it to one single file, but I've also only taken ghosts of partitions.

I have an raid array, and I've saved ghost imagines from partitions there without problem. Never tried the whole disc though.
              My system:
              | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage
              homemade watercooling in use,Pics on the homepage...

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

Splitting the image into smaller files is most likely a good idea, just as this little exercise demonstrates - if you lose one file due to corruption/whatever you only lose that bit of the image - if you had one huge file you may not have been able to salvage anything if push came to shove.

Something else - FAT32 only works with 4G files, so if you had to restore by using a DOS GUI you cannot do it any other way,...........dont think Ghost can restore from a NTFS disk (one huge file)..............unless things changed drastically from the version 6.5 I am running

PS - its a 200G disk not 20G
                Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by lindberg
                  Why was the ghost imagine split up in 41 files if you saved it to a 20G HDD? I always have saved it to one single file, but I've also only taken ghosts of partitions.

I have an raid array, and I've saved ghost imagines from partitions there without problem. Never tried the whole disc though.
                  When I back up my drives it always splits them up. next time I'll do a backup I'll just check the size of the files.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by LvR
                    No chance of using Ghost to just do a plain disk clone in DOS by getting the Raid going for only a short while again ? (PCI card?).......I have on a few occasions now been able to transfer the entire Raid disk "as is" onto a new mobo if you are very careful about noting/transferring the original Raid disk settings.

Running on 6.5 here and has also never bumped into this sort of hassle.
                    My new board doesn't have on board IDE RAID (well it DOES, but it's serial ATA). :-( And my old RAID controller was on board.

Comment

Originally posted by lindberg

I saved it to a TWO HUNDRED gig HDD. You missed a zero.

You can't save it to a single file THAT big on a FAT32 partition. 2 (or 4?) gig file limitation.

Yeah, same here, I've saved images of the partitions without a hitch. But the whole disk is another story...thus far.

Comment

I just checked my backups and each ghost image is backed up into 2.1gb files which seems to be bang on the old fat16 limit. Thats whether it's a partition backed up or a whole disk.
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                        X