Best compression method?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best compression method?

Searching through my computer I noticed some huge bitmaps, and decided to compress them and burn to CD.

Taking a 155MB TIFF file as an example, WinZip managed a 10% reduction to 139MB, WinRAR cut it 29% to 111MB. However, while size is important, so is reliability

What compression method do you use, and why? What would you recommend for archiving? Speed is completely irrelevant to me, I want the most reliable, then the best compression.

RAR? ZIP? ACE? GZIP? BZIP2?

Thanking you in advance,

P.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

I tend to prefer bz2.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

From my experiece, WinACE does pretty good overall compression of image files in general (over winzip & winrar). I've never run across or heard of BZIP2, so I can't help you on that.

And I think that WinRAR is able to decompress WinACE files (I think).
      Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
      MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
      Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
      Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
        I tend to prefer bz2.
        Forgot to mention that I'll be doing this in Windows Do you just use BZ2 in *nix? Or in Windows as well?

Edit: Just downloaded the commandline version of bzip2, testing it at the moment on the TIFF
        Last edited by Pace; 14 January 2003, 09:46.
        Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Usually I'm using it in Unix-land, but that's because I don't have much use for compression on my windows setups. bzip2 is free though, and supported by many programs. I generally see a 20-30% improvement in file size over standard zip files.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Ok, just compressed the TIFF to a 108MB bz2, so that's a full 30% compression, and just edges out RAR. However, how do I make my archives more 'solid'?

Oh, and any way to leave the existing file intact when I bzip it?
            Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Try Ace. I'd be surprised if bz2 beats it... and it's more fault-tolerant and secure.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

FYI Pace http://www.compression.ca/act-graphics.html

I personally prefer WinRar, WinAce make smaller files in some cases altough it's slower most of the times.
                Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Maybe you consider use WinRAR with "solid" and "recovery record" options. The files will be much larger, but safer.
                  I use only WinRAR.

Comment

bz2 on linux, ace on windows. simple as that.
                    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

What are the advantages of ACE over WinRAR?

Comment

Yeah, I was going to ask that as well.

ACE has so far provided the largest compression, but as you'll all note from above, this is my second priority

A small useless file is...worthless.
                        A large useful file is...priceless (well, kinda)

Robustness of the archive is paramount, otherwise I'll just leave the files as they are, maybe use JPEG or something

How good is the RAR recovery method? And is a 2% record good? 20%? 200%?

P.
                        Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Another option that may be a bit more time consuming would be to save using png which uses lossless compression. Although it uses the gzip algorithms, so it isn't the best compression. The advantage is that you don't have to uncompress them to view, just use any newer picture viewer and it should support png.
                          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

yeah bz2 or winace.

winace is probably more convient in windows.
                            But there are windows versions of bz2
                            (its is open source after all)

winace did compress better than winrar last time I did some tests

Comment

Is PNG as sturdy as TIFF though? Or as sturdy as JPEG?
                              Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Working...
                              X