Big time problem w/ mystique 220 RRS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big time problem w/ mystique 220 RRS

I was setting up a computer on my network to be my capture box. Installed Win98se then the drivers for my mystique 220 RRS combo. I ran the setup 431 drivers and was prompted for a reboot. When win98 gets past the log-in password screen and about to load the desk-top it goes blank and reboots. If I let it run it keeps going in this endless rebooting cycle.
    I tried going into safe mode and uninstalling the driver but it won't fix it. I was very puzzled and re-installed win98 and re-downloaded the driver to be sure.

During the time I was re-doing the win98 mystique box I turned back to my main rig to kill some time and the screen on that computer was BLANK! I reboot it and does the exact same as the mystique rig. After all the bios logon stuff it goes blank as soon as it enters windows. The computer is running but no video. Its not going into a continuous reboot like the mystique just blackness as soon as windows XP loads. This computer has a geforce3. I tried the system restore feature but nothing.
    I had the geforce machine Ghost so I was up and running fine in 5min. But what the hell. Two machines with bank screens?

After I reinstalled the mystique win98 machine I installed the driver again and the exact same thing happens. Is it dead? No please no. I love my Mystique RRS.
    Help O-B-1 your my only hope
    funky
    Last edited by funky-d-munky; 14 January 2003, 16:53.
    Oh my god MAGNUM!

Have you tried just the Mystique card (with no AGP card installed) and then instructed the BIOS to use a PCI display adapter?

Comment

I was worried my post would be a little hard to follow.
      The mystique is in one machine, my geforce3 in ANOTHER.
      Yes it sounds crazy but as soon as I installed the mystique drivers and re-boot, the mystique system would loose video just at the point of displaying the win desk-top then re-boot. This continues in an edless cycle. And my geforce3 machine lost video as soon as it reaches win desk-top but dosen't reboot. Just sat there running with no video.

Note: I have since Ghosted my C: drive back on my geforce3 machine and all is fine (although it was the single strangest thing I have ever encountered in the PC world yet. Driver install causing loss of video on 2 networked computers!)

The mystique keeps repeating the same cycle even after 3 complete format and re-do's. But lucky for me the video loss of geforce3 computer happened only the one time.

It was almost like the 431 mystique RRS driver had a Virus!. Both computers gone at once from installing a Matrox driver. Unbelievable.
      Last edited by funky-d-munky; 14 January 2003, 16:58.
      Oh my god MAGNUM!

Comment

Now I understand.

I was worried my post would be a little hard to follow.
        You can say that again!

Comment

Well here is where it is at.
          Removed the RRS from the back of the mystique 220 and installed the 412 drivers (the standard non Rainbow Runner drivers).
          Exact same problem. It gets to windows desktop, I even see the Matrox powerdesk icon in the system tray, then BEEP, reboot.

So to troubleshoot I took it out and placed it in my winXP box/ D/L the winXP driver. Works perfect!

Why won't it work with the win98 box? It has worked fine in it befor. I have had various AGP cards and PCI cards in it. Never a problem. Any thoughts?
          funky
          Oh my god MAGNUM!

Comment

Hi Funky,

It sounds to me like you have an IRQ conflict going on. Make sure your Mystique is not using the same IRQ as another piece of hardware.

Rick
            http://www.Hogans-Systems.com

Comment

Right you are. I had forgotten I had switched a LAN card from another machine. Replaced it into the same PCI slot so as nothing visably had changed. Considering I had had my Mystique in that box just a few days befor, I couldn't figure it out, and assumed the worst as my RRS is 6 YEARS OLD! Thats a Grandpa in computer terms ;>)
              I have chalked up the co-insiding loss of video on my geforce3 box to a conflict with DX9, being that the box had not been rebooted in a long time.
              The fact that they happend at the same time freaked me out. I thought Bill had come to get me.
              Thanx for the help and long live the RR.
              funky
              Oh my god MAGNUM!

Comment

Working...
              X