Kids today are spoiled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids today are spoiled

I got this in e-mail and thought it was kind of funny. It rings true in many ways.

When I was a kid adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes* about how hard things were when they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning uphill both ways through year ‘round blizzards carrying their younger siblings on their backs to their one-room schoolhouse where they maintained a straight-A average despite their full-time after-school job at the local textile mill where they worked for 35 cents an hour* just to help keep their family from starving to death!

I remember promising myself that when I grew up there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it and how easy they’ve got it!

But....

Now that I’ve reached my thirties, I can’t help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You’ve got it so damn easy!

I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a darned Utopia!
    And I hate to say it but you kids today you don’t even know how good you’ve got it!

When I was a kid we didn’t have The Internet—we wanted to know something, we had to go to the library and look it up ourselves!

There was no email! We had to actually write somebody a letter with A pen!-- and then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there!

There were no MP3s or Napsters! You wanted to steal music, you had to go to the record store and shoplift it yourself!* Try sticking an LP Album under your jacket, buddy!* No CD’s back then. Or we had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ’d usually talk over the beginning and screw it all up!

You want to hear about hardship?

We didn’t have fancy stuff like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal!

We didn’t have Caller ID Boxes either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was it could be your boss, your mom, a collections agent, your ex-girlfriend, you didn’t know!!! You just had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!* And there were no cellphones!

We didn’t have Sony Playstation videogames with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like Space Invaders” and “Asteroids” and the graphics sucked! Your guy was a little square! You had to use your imagination! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever! And you could never win, the game just kept getting harder and faster until you died!

Just like LIFE!

When you went to the movie theater there no such thing as stadium seating! All the seats were the same height!* A tall guy sat in front of you, you were screwed!

Sure, we had cable television, but back then that was only like 20 channels and there was no onscreen menu! You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on!

There was no Cartoon Network! You could only get cartoons on Saturday morning... ...D’ya hear what the hell I’m saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK, you spoiled little bastards!

That’s exactly what I’m talking about!* You kids today have got it too easy!

You’re spoiled, I swear to God!* You guys wouldn’t last fifteen minutes back in the 80’s!

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

I heartily agree - sometimes I get fed up with the kids moaning about doing chores. Ours may be different to some as we home educate so dont get all the 'but everyone else has them' but cartoons, endless kids progrms repeats. Now there is an standing rule if either my wife or I recognise an episode of various kiddies 'awful' programs they have to change it. Look if we recognise it through seeing the tv when we happen to pass they must have seen it a dozen times... aaargh.

anyway you still gotta love em

I'll moan more if anyone else wants me too
    hmmmmm

Comment

Spoiled is an understatement.

I graduated high school at 17 and by the time I was 20 I had finished my bachelors early with overcredits & taken my national boards (scored 4th in the US). After a year of further training (and another national board) I was immediately responsible for setting up the special procedures department for a major local hospital from the ground up.

Today most kids that age are more worried about what rave they're going to hit next weekend

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 January 2003, 19:20.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Good job, Terry.
        I've never seen anyone turn a thread around like that in a way to toot their own horn so loudly.
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Of course, what else was there to do in Michigan?

Comment

I think part of the problem today is that companies finally figured out that they could make money off teens, thus the catering you see to them today. Christ I'm 28 and I and didnt have half the shit teens have today. I'm friends with guy who owns a local hobby shop and he was telling me stories of kids waking around with $500 bucks in their wallet and buying a Warhammer set that went for $250 bucks no sweat. The area hes in is somewhat effluant, but thats plain crazy...I never even carried $500 in my wallet...even as an adult!
            Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
              I think part of the problem today is that companies finally figured out that they could make money off teens, thus the catering you see to them today. Christ I'm 28 and I and didnt have half the shit teens have today. I'm friends with guy who owns a local hobby shop and he was telling me stories of kids waking around with $500 bucks in their wallet and buying a Warhammer set that went for $250 bucks no sweat. The area hes in is somewhat effluant, but thats plain crazy...I never even carried $500 in my wallet...even as an adult!
              Chances are, you didn't work as much as many American (and Canadian) teens are today. I've seen a number of studies that estimate between 50% and 65% of American high school students are employed year round and working an average of between 20 and 30 hours per week.

Things weren't like that when I was a high school student in the mid to late '60's

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzin
                Good job, Terry.
                I've never seen anyone turn a thread around like that in a way to toot their own horn so loudly.
                It was a freaking example of the difference in generations for Christs sake.

When I went to school applying yourself seriously to your education was more the norm, not the exception like now. Out of 104 kids in our graduating class well over 80% had bachelor degrees by the time we had our 5 year reunion with very few being like kids these days. By our 10th it was an even higher percentage.

NO, it wasn't a private school but a public school in what was mainly a farming community.

This is a touchy point for me because so many of my middle sons friends do have fairly high intellectual capabilities once applied, but they're what we used to call "shiftless"; meaning they can't get their lives into gear.

Very frustrating for parents & friends alike....

Dr. Mordrid
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 January 2003, 22:38.
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                  It was a freaking example of the difference in generations for Christs sake.

When I went to school applying yourself seriously to your education was more the norm, not the exception like now. Out of 104 kids in our graduating class over 80% (last I checked) had bachelor degrees by the time we had our 10th anniversary with very few being like kids these days.

NO, it wasn't a private school but a public school in a farming community.

This is a touchy point for me because so many of my middle sons friends are smart, but what we used to call "shiftless"; meaning they can't get their lives into gear.

Very frustrating for parents & friends alike....

Dr. Mordrid
                  Maybe they feel that it's pointless now, since they see people making huge amounts of money for doing nothing (see that AT&T CEO in this thread) while a decent, honest, and hard working person just gets screwed, stuck with no benefits, and is thrown away when he's used up, like an old tube of toothpaste.

Should they work hard to make a living farming? What's the point? The government makes it harder to even break even from year to year, because they line their pockets with kickbacks from those rich CEOs and tell small businessmen to just work harder while they make it tougher for them to compete.

I don't blame them for being shiftless.. they are told every day that that is the only way to make it in America. Merit doesn't count.. being a sleaze and having connections does.. Dilbert is such a good cartoon because it mirrors reality very well.

Comment

When I were a lad.

We had to make our entertainment. If you were lucky you had a TV otherwise it was outside with the football or use your imagination for the days play.
                    No computers no xboxes you had to make your own entertainment.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

When i was a small kid I almost lived in the library

Today my 12 year brother can't understand why I spen't time in that dull place
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

ou’re spoiled, I swear to God!* You guys wouldn’t last fifteen minutes back in the 80’s!
                        ROFLMAO!!!!

I bet the parents of the 80's said the same thing about when they grew up in the 60's or 70's...

I can't wait to see a new form of that email in 20 years,"When I was a kid we didn't have Direct Synoptic Connection, we had to stare at a low resolution monitor all day, killing our eye-sight. Our portable computers often weighed over 4 lbs (because the US will still probably using the English system in 20 years...stupid politicians)!!! Lifting 4 lbs would give most kids these days a hernia."

Jammrock
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Victorian
                          Chances are, you didn't work as much as many American (and Canadian) teens are today. I've seen a number of studies that estimate between 50% and 65% of American high school students are employed year round and working an average of between 20 and 30 hours per week.

Things weren't like that when I was a high school student in the mid to late '60's
                          I used to work 10-30 Hours part time from age 14-18 before I joined the army. I brought home a wopping $55 bucks in July of 92 working 12 hours at the local Supermarket. I have the paystub sitting in front of me now I had to worry about putting gas in my car and paying car insurance and paying room and board to my parents. The kid that has $500 in his wallet was in 10-12 year old range where its pretty much illegal to work..unless its under the table.
                          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Every generation complains about the next one. Aristoteles already did it, and i bet we'll be doing it the next 1000 years.

Good job, Terry.
                            LOL
                            no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

You mean in ten years time parents will be able to say something against there kids. Won't that be some type of abuse?
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X