Promise Fasttrak 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promise Fasttrak 100

Hello everyone. Glad to see the RAID subject is in play. I got my new Fasttrak 100 today. Not sure if I'll need it but it'll be good for future growth. Right now I want to install it with my existing boot drive which is a WD 18GB ATA66 7200RPM with a Maxtor 40GB ATA66 7200RPM, but not use it as a RAID right now. Can the Fasttrak 100 be installed temporarily to work with seperate drive letters, one for boot and one for capture? I plan to add an identical 40GB Maxtor before the Fall.

For now, I haven't even torn the wrapper off the new Fasttrack. If I can't use it now I will wait and install it when I get the other Maxtor. I have an "old" Promise Ultra 66 installed now anyway. Please give me some guidance on implementing this new card. When and how? Thanks.

Sure, 'tis easy. Just put one drive on each cable and set them up as single drive JBOD, or SPANNED, arrays using a single disk.

JBOD = Just a Bunch Of Disks.

On my previous 3 drive 120g array I added a fourth as a JBOD. No problems except when copying form the RAID to the JBOD. This was due to the third drive of the RAID0 being on the same cable and was limited to slowing the copy down a tad. This is why I'm recommending using separate cables.

Now the FT100 is set up with four IBM 75GPX drives split into dual 120g arrays. Very speedy and highly recommended ;-)

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

----------------------------------------
      Now the FT100 is set up with four IBM 75GPX drives split into dual 120g arrays. Very speedy and highly recommended ;-)
      ----------------------------------------

Although Promise claims the maximum size of an array is 128 GB, I've been running four Maxtor 60 GB drives on one FT66 as one 240 GB stripe set for several months now with no observable ill effects. It's amazingly fast (especially considering these are the slow 5400 60 GB "quiet" drives) and great for gigantic video files. I've been wanting to put eight together on two fasttraks and see if it works, but we don't have eight of the same size drive yet (pesky hard drives keep growing in size by leaps and bounds before we get the cash to get another pair ).

Comment

I know this can be done and have set up a 240g array for a days trial, but haven't tried it yet long term. Nice to know it might be an option.

As for setting up dual cards, that is only supported in WinNT. But then again only 128g arrays are supported by Promise ;-)

Along that line of thought, when the FT33 first came out it supported dual cards in Win9x. Then I think they had some folks have problems and the official support was omitted in later manuals.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
        X