bad quality DV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad quality DV

I am recording my miniDV made with my Sony dcr-100e on my cpu, but the quality is very poor. Tryied recording with premiere 6.5 and windows movie maker at 26 mbps.

Tryed also with Main Concept DV codec interlacing on tmpgenc.... what can i do for have a decent quality ? thanx!!

You may be running into a DirectShow problem of Microsofts making.

As shipped the DirectShow DV filters quality setting is not 100%, meaning the video is scaled down for playing in MediaPlayer. Unfortunately this often causes programs to render DV to half size, which makes it look blurry or pixelized.

The fix is to start MediaPlayer then browse its menus to this tab;

Tools\Options\Performance\

Now look at the bottom of the page where it says "Digital Video (DV) Settings" and move the slider all the way to "Large".

Now check the quality again. Better?

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

yes, i have just downloaded MP9, and the quality is really high... but...

During fast moves i see many undesired lines

Are there problems if i edit it in premiere ? and if i want to put it into a dvd what can you suggest me ?

(xcuse 4 awful english... )

Comment

Are those "undesired lines" jaggies on the edges of objects or blockiness or ???

DV is nice for many things, but it does have its "issues"....

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

ehmm...

on monitor the moves are smooth, but on tv (i have a matrox g450 etv) playing with mediaplayer 9 and 7 i see lines as... scanlines (flitter?) during still and if i try to put in mpeg2 adding interlace i see non continuous scene... inacceptable!

ps. Thanks to reply to all my problems dr Modrid!!!!

Comment

I've been trying to get the quality of my dig8 captures up as well. I picked up the mainconcept codec but it's not available as a capture codec in mspro6.5. I was under the impression that it was supposed to work but it only appears as an available codec after the fact (like divx, cinepack, etc). Is that the idea? Do the raw capture then re-encode it with mainconcept? Just doesn't seem right. Do I have it configured incorrectly or something?

Thanks for any help!
            -funsoul

PS- Your issue of lines sounds somewhat similar to an issue I had. Whenever the camera moved, there would be thick banding on the video. Turning off the auto-stabilization option on the cam corrected the problem (I think someone here helped me with that).
            mmedia pc: 2x2.4/533 xeons@3.337ghz, asus pc-dl, 2g pc3500 ddram, 27g primary, 2x120 WD's, promise fastrack100, matrox g400-tv, hercules soundcard Server box: p4 1.4GHz, asus p4t, 1g ecc rdram, 27.3g primary, 3x80g maxtors, promise fastrack66, radeon ve, soundblaster Beat box: p3 500, asus p3bf6, 1024meg pc100, 45g primary, 3x45g maxtors, soundblaster, radeon ve, dazzle vcII

Comment

Capturing through the MS DV Codec isn't actually a problem as the compression is really being done in your camcorder or analogue to DV converter. The MS DV codec simply packages the data into an AVI file. The problems with the MS DV Codec only really come into play when re-encoding after editing.

If you don't re-encode to DV (I don't) and only encode to a final output format like MPEG2 then the MS DV Codec should be adequate. At least the reports I have seen suggest that playback is fine and it is only the encoding that sucks.

Cheers,

David.

Comment

thanks davpen
                The final mpeg1/2's from the dv avi's (frameserving from premiere to tmpgenc) don't come out looking so great. The 352x240 looks decent (resizing downward certainly helps a lot) but the 480x480 and 720x480 mpegs are a bit blocky and blurry. There's got to be a way to make them look pristine (I'd imagine).

Anyone have any ideas?
                mmedia pc: 2x2.4/533 xeons@3.337ghz, asus pc-dl, 2g pc3500 ddram, 27g primary, 2x120 WD's, promise fastrack100, matrox g400-tv, hercules soundcard Server box: p4 1.4GHz, asus p4t, 1g ecc rdram, 27.3g primary, 3x80g maxtors, promise fastrack66, radeon ve, soundblaster Beat box: p3 500, asus p3bf6, 1024meg pc100, 45g primary, 3x45g maxtors, soundblaster, radeon ve, dazzle vcII

Comment

i solved my problem
                  that undesiderable lines disappear when i encode in mpeg2 without deinterlace, when i make the dvd the image sequence is perfect.
                  I must use "smart deinterlace" on virtualdub when i want to keep the file in avi
                  thanks to all!

Comment

Working...
                  X