Internet browser that quadruples surf speed wins Irish science prize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet browser that quadruples surf speed wins Irish science prize

Adnan Osmani, 16, a student at Saint Finian's College in Mullingar, central Ireland spent 18 months writing 780,000 lines of computer code to develop the browser. Known as "XWEBS", the system works with an ordinary Internet connection using a 56K modem on a normal telephone line.

The software was tested by scientists at University College, Dublin last week & they found it boosted surfing speeds by between 100 & 500 percent depending on the basic dial-up connection rate.
    More info (but no download) : http://newsobserver.com/24hour/techn...-5244591c.html
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

I'll believe it when I see it. I love articles like this.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Indeed.
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

1 line of finished code a minute, 24 hours a day for a year & a half?
        chuck
        Last edited by cjolley; 13 January 2003, 14:26.
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

I'd love it if it were true...

Comment

Re: Internet browser that quadruples surf speed wins Irish science prize

Originally posted by Guru
            More info (but no download) : http://newsobserver.com/24hour/techn...-5244591c.html
            yes...it's a new version of Lynx ,with a fancy name...if you want fast internet don't bother with the pictures

Comment

I think somebody got a bit excited with the numbers.

It looks more like one of those adverts I get daily on my hotmail account : You won $1.000.000! or Surf upto 10 times faster!

There is no way he could write 780k loc, not even using wizards. Such a beast would need lots of time to compile and months to debug.

And then which is the reference browser? it's 500% faster than ?

Other special aspects of his browser are the fact that access to 120 Internet search engines and other features such as music and video players are built in.
              Soon I'll not need an OS on my PC but just this browser
              <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="1" >epox 8RDA+ running an Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.7Ghz with 2x256mb Crucial PC2700, an Adaptec 1200A IDE-Raid with 2x WD 7200rpm 40Gb striped + a 120Gb and a 20Gb Seagate, 2x 17" LG Flatron 775FT, a Cordless Logitech Trackman wheel and a <b>banding enhanced</b> Matrox Parhelia 128 retail shining thru a Koolance PC601-Blue case window<br>and for God's sake pay my <a href="http://www.drslump.biz">site</a> a visit!</font>

Comment

like the report about the finnish kid who had inwented a way to use pressed cd's as cd-r's.......
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Yes, you too can rewrite your old CD's with my patented "Big F'ing Laser burner!" Watch (with optional welding glasses) as the intense laser energy melts the aluminum layer, followed by my secret magetohydrodynamic reforming process that inserts new pits into the disc, recording the new information.

Comment

Reminds me of the people that used to INSIST that there was technology to let you put 10MB on a floppy disc.

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

and also those shinig stars who believes that you can connect your vcr to your serial port and capture video.....

the look on my face must have been hilarious
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                        and also those shinig stars who believes that you can connect your vcr to your serial port and capture video.....

the look on my face must have been hilarious

WHAT????

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                          Reminds me of the people that used to INSIST that there was technology to let you put 10MB on a floppy disc.

- Gurm
                          I once saw a floppy that reckoned it had 250mb capacity. Pity you couldn't read it.
                          Yeh the article is bull about the speed claims.
                          Come to that I saw a software download that could make you 56k modem 250 times quicker. I didn't bother.
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm

- Gurm
                            Or the infamous The Matrix in an encrypted zip file that fits on a floppy disk.
                            Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                            Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
                            X