parallel versus USB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• parallel versus USB

Can you connect a printer to two different computers by attaching it's parallel lead to one machine and its USB to another at the same time or is it strictly one or the other?
    Thanks,

Dave
    Don't make me angry...

Good question. I've been meaning to do this with my Espon Stylus Photo 890, but haven't got around to it. Perhaps we'll see who tries it first this weekend

T.
    FT.

Comment

Don't waste your time, it won't work

Comment

Yes, it works
        at least at my job with a HP 970.

Comment

Works fine on HP's.

Problem is... you can't count on all the pages of your document coming out in order if the two machines send at the same time.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Yes it works on a Hp 930. Problem is I have to turn off and on the printer every time a different PC will start doing a print job. Not very troublesome, I wan´t even expecting it´d work.

Comment

Re: parallel versus USB

Originally posted by dave m
              Can you connect a printer to two different computers by attaching it's parallel lead to one machine and its USB to another at the same time or is it strictly one or the other?
              Thanks,

Dave
              save yourself the trouble and get a cheap automatic switch 1printer-2PC...

Comment

That can only be done on certain HP printers like the 930C as the printer has inbuilt port sensor, however that model and as well others with that feature is no longer being produced. Not sure about other brands.
                ?! Had no probs using my 930 configured that way but i switched it to a router as i had to place the pcs farther apart
                Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

OK we'll give it a try, so it may or may not work.

My sister-in-law just bought a new epson with both connections and as she has a desktop and a laptop wanted to know if she could connect both, it wasn't something I'd considered before as we just talk to ours over the network.

Thanks all,

Dave
                  Don't make me angry...

Comment

Good luck. I'm not gonna get around to it today as I spent ages finding that my table saw isn't up to scratch for making rabbits, then got half way through doing it with my router when that died (speed control board I think). I still have loads of essential stuff to do before work tomorrow.

T.
                    FT.

Comment

Offtopic: My Canon S450 comes with an LPT connection as default... I tried switching to USB (not both connected, just the USB) but it wouldn't work worth a damn. It prints, yes, but the software won't find the printer & I have to install it over again after every reboot... When the driver is reinstalled, it suddenly shows the printer + every instance of the printer ever installed... Sigh. Turning the printer on/off has no effect, all other USB devices work just fine.

Comment

OT aswell: TONY - how the hell do you make rabbits with a table saw? Is this some sort of genetic engineering project with wood?
                        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Tempest, that sounds more like a problem with your USB hub than with the printer.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
                            OT aswell: TONY - how the hell do you make rabbits with a table saw? Is this some sort of genetic engineering project with wood?
                            LOL. Just incase the authorities are reading this: No, I mean a rebate. I guess Norm Abram has a dodgy accent
                            If they aren't watching, then yes, thats exactly what I am doing Ha ha ha ha ha (insert maniacal laugh sound here).

T.

Edit: typo
                            Last edited by Fat Tone; 12 January 2003, 11:33.
                            FT.

Comment

works here with my epson C80

Comment

Working...
                              X